1010c sprockets

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jonny5
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c sprockets

Post by Jonny5 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Anyone,
I too have to think about a sprocket job, i have in mind making my own weld on rim sprocket relpacements out of Bizalloy wear plate available here in australia, and profile cut them and then machine them i would dearly love someone to give me the 1010 sprocket specs or the 350 rim replacement specs so i dont have to re-invent the wheel!!! is it at all possible Gentlemen.

I am very new to this forum and could have joined a previous thread to this topic but have done it this way please be patient with me and feel free to offer any suggestions i have quite a Thick Hide!

I own a 5............. series 1010c blade doser i will post pics when i can work out how
Regards John.S
Tasmania Australia

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello John,

Welcome to the board. I can't help much with the tooth profile but I can tell you that there is a drawing of the 350 sprocket on the jdparts.com site. The 1010c is a different bushing size than the 350 but the pitch and width are the same so it would get you started.

Using the Bisalloy plate is an interesting idea but might pose some interesting technical issues. It looks like the Bisplate 500 alloy is closest to the hardness and toughness need for a sprocket rim but it is a through hardened medium carbon steel so it has to be machined in its hardened state. A sprocket is 1.75" (45 mm) wide so that's a lot of hardened steel to cut.

According to their spec sheets, the alloy can be welded but I'm guessing that being a medium carbon steel it will require some level of preheating to avoid cracking.

In the end you might be better off cutting the rim off a 420c sprocket and welding it onto your 1010c sprocket center. It will cost less and be quite a bit easier to weld.
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:54 pm

Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy it.
I am not familiar with the metal you are referring to, but keep in mind that sprockets are not really that hard on these old girls, and most likely was nothing fancy in terms of the steel. I would not use anything overly hard unless you have to.
One other thought would be if you could find anyone that can flame cut material that thick. It might be easier to machine the inside to fit, rather than trying to machine every single tooth.
That, or I could ship you a set of 350 rims if you want to do it the easy way. :lol:
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:18 am

Lavoy, the Bisalloy Bisplate 500 is Brinell hardness 500HB plate. This would make it Rockwell C hardness of about 51Rc. They make Bisplate in everything from a 300 to the top end armor plate. I was just guessing that the 500 would be close enough to the hardness of the older sprockets.

John, if Lavoy can get you 350 rims that would sure work. It would be a bit like the fit you get with a somewhat worn 1010c sprocket but with plenty of metal left on the sprocket. If you switch to 350 tracks, then it's a perfect fit all around.
Bill Wattson

Jonny5
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 sprockets

Post by Jonny5 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Thanks Bill and Lavoy,
the information has been invaluable allready,My sprocket widths measure 1" LHS and 1 1/6" RHS so i have a problem indeed! i havent had the unit long and have been reluctant to do much but i have moved some stumps around! i noticed the tracks squirmed around the sprocket area and the problem is more the width than the pitch line wear but the most concern is the axel outer bearing has collapsed on the LHS and the steering clutch wont release on the same side so IN I GO!

can you confirm again what size the sprocket roller/bushing diameter is on the 1010 and the 350 as mine measures 1 11/16" as it stands.

i can flamecut up to 1 5/8" on our profile cutter and yes just machine the inside and Lavoy i could even use mild steel then buy some 353 rims off you.
Regards John.S
Tasmania Australia

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:18 pm

John,

Here's a link to an earlier post on the topic. In short, the 1010 bushing is 1-9/16" and the 350 is a 1.75" so it sounds like you may already have 350 rails. The 1010 pins are 1" versus 1-3/16" for the 350 so if you've got the bigger pins, that nails it down to being 350 rails.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=2146

If you go to jdparts.com and enter part number T129879 you will get a parts description with drawing of a 350 sprocket. Hope this helps.
Bill Wattson

Jonny5
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Jonny5 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:34 pm

wwattson,
thank you i have looked at that other posting and Yippie i think. I have 1 3/16" pins and 1 3/4" bushings 350 TRACKS so is it 350 rim sprockets for me? i will Email Lavoy for prices or maybe check JD australia do the rim sprockets have part no. or are they aftermarket.
I must get off the computer and prepare for bushfire season as im on holidays
Regards John.S
Tasmania Australia

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:52 am

350 rims are an aftermarket affair, not Deere. For some reason the supply has become very sprocadic in the last couple years, but are they are still available. I do have one set on hand right now if you decide to go that way.
Thanks,
Lavoy