1010 smoking when steering -

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jd1010
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 smoking when steering -

Post by jd1010 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:21 am

I just bought a 1964 1010 a few weeks ago. The original plan was to keep this for a few months to finsh the grading of my property as time permitted. Now it seems I may have to find a way to break it to the wife that I want it to stay.

After a starter overhaul (that starter sure is in a nice place)and getting the fuel lines free of sludge I was able to run it for a few hours. I have noticed a few issues that I would like some comment or advice on.

1. The diesel engine seems to run just fine until I point this baby uphill or push over half a blade full of dirt. If I am not around 1800-2000 rpms this starts to die pretty quickly. Are my tracks too tight or should I look into the pump timing or injectors?

2. My greatest concern is that after about an hour of running I noticed what smelled like a burning clutch. After a turn I looked down and saw a little smoke coming from under my left floor pan. So I thought I had better get some input about this as a potential problem or if this is normal. As the only other tracked equipment I have driven has been recent model Cat loaders I really have nothing to compare this to.

The man I bought this off said he replaced thr right side steering before I bought it. He said this was for under $200 and he did the work. I suppose I should have had him do the other side too as the right side works like a charm. Do I keep running this as is? Do I need to modify my turning? Or the least desireable option do I need to look into a repair of the left side?

3. Finally when I bought this the man said to just use either every time I start this. Nothing was to be gained by arguing with him so I just shook my head. He was right though, it will not start withoutu it.
I have confirmed that I have power up tot he glow plugs but they must most likely are not working. Where is the best and best price place to get a set of four for a serial number of 45138. I have seen on ebay a set of 4 for $100 but would appreciate comment.

Thanks in advance for your attention. Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.
1964 JD 1010 Dozer

jdemaris

Re: 1010 smoking when steering -

Post by jdemaris » Mon May 05, 2008 6:53 am

jd1010 wrote: 3. Finally when I bought this the man said to just use either every time I start this. Nothing was to be gained by arguing with him so I just shook my head. He was right though, it will not start withoutu it.
Using ether on it is a good way to ruin the engine. As a general rule-of-thumb, I won't buy an IDI diesel in a tractor or pickup truck if any ether has ever been used on it. This is especially true with older diesels that have less durable top piston-rings (like your 1010) and somewhat fragile precombustion chambers. Chances are, it's already ruined and in need of a rebuild - unless everyone has been extremely careful with the ether use.

If the engine was/is in good shape - with good cylinder walls, top piston rings in one piece, glow plugs that work, and a hand-primer for cold-starting still operaional, that thing would start at zero degrees with no ether or block-heater.

Keep in mind that many diesels, even after being half-destroyed with ether, still run pretty good once you have them hot.

In regard to the lack-of-power in some situations - it could be low fuel delivery from the injection pump, low compression, and probably some of both. You might want a few quick checks on some easy and obvious things first. Pull the glow plugs and check and/or replace as needed. Pull the top cover (three bolts) - or - pull the timing window (two screws) from the fuel injection pump and look for any debris that will look like mouse turds. If you see any at all - the pump needs to come apart and either have some plastic replaced - or get an upgrade to an EID drive in the governor end. That pump is the first Stanadyne/Roosamaster rotary ever used and lacks some features later rotaries have. Subsequently, even though it's simpler - some pump-shops charge more to work on it.

Check the fuel flow coming out of the gravity-feed fuel tank and make sure there are no obstructions.

Check the fuel filters, drain any water, etc.

I am assuming you want to do a little as possible. So, you might get lucky with just fixing the glow-plugs and maybe the injection pump. The pump can be fixed in an hour (on the bench), often with $50 in parts. If you send it out - it's going to cost much more - anywhere from $300 - $800 regardless of what it needs.

If it was mine - I'd probably pull the head and look in at the piston tops and cylinder walls before I did anything else. Even a compression test won't always tells you what damage is in there.

jd1010
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd1010 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:45 am

or get an upgrade to an EID drive in the governor end

I'm not sure what this is please explain.
1964 JD 1010 Dozer

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon May 05, 2008 12:26 pm

jd1010 wrote:or get an upgrade to an EID drive in the governor end

I'm not sure what this is please explain.

EID is an acronym for something like "elastomer insert drive." It was used in all pumps built mid 1985 and later - and is an upgrade for all older D, DB, JDB, DB2, DC, etc. pumps.

It still has plastic in it - but the plastic parts are inserted in metal cases and therefore cannot break and fall apart. The older setup - like your 1010 would have - is a one piece plastic "pellathane" ring that locates on a bunch of steel rivets. It will always fall apart with either use or age - which ever does it in first. It holds part of the governor together and is there to absorb vibration. When it falls apart, the little pieces run through the pump - and usually result in a engine that keeps quitting, but will then restart - run OK for a few minutes, and then quit again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 am

As to glow plugs, absolutely replace them. A 1010 or 2010 will not start on an 80 degree day without glow plugging if it has not been run. I know of 2 1010's that I have personally started in the single digits without ether.
As far as the smoke from the brake, pull the inspection cover off of that side. Back the brake tension bolt off 1/2 or 1 turn and that will most likely solve your problem.
Lavoy

jd1010
MC crawler
MC crawler

glow plugs

Post by jd1010 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:53 pm

The glow plugs I bought on ebay arrived today. It was only about 1/2 hour after opening the box that the old 1010 was starting without ether for the first time in years. What a diffference.

Thanks to you guys for your input.

Next issue to address is make the adjustment to the left side steering as Lavoy suggests.
1964 JD 1010 Dozer