help with putting brake bands on a MC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Ray54023
40C crawler
40C crawler

help with putting brake bands on a MC

Post by Ray54023 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:44 am

I am trying to put the clutch casing back on my MC and the brake bands keep binding between the pins and the brake drum. I did not know to look for this at first and thought everything slipped together & then I found it would not turn and got to looking and the brake bands are not sliding on. I need to redo both sides, but I am having a dickens of a time to get the bands to slide on. Is there a trick to this? I thought about running a bolt up the plug hole at the bottom just far enough in to catch the band, but let the drum pass over it.. anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
Ray
John Deere MC
John Deere M
John Deere MT
John Deere H
John Deere 430 Diesel 60" mower
Snapper with a real useful loader

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi! The book says to" when working on an early model tractor, thrust a punch of the correct diameter up through drain hole in bottom of clutch housing behind brake band. This will hold brake band in position. Be sure that punch does not extend beyond inside diameter of brake band. The punch is not necessary on later stlye housings."

I did mine years ago and remember having problems also. Might check to see if the band is adjusted loose enough to fit over drum.

hope this helps some.
Have Fun!
Bob