some 1010 info

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mike5225
MC crawler
MC crawler

some 1010 info

Post by mike5225 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:22 pm

I am looking at a 1010 dozer. The dozer says its a 1010 but the data plate on the motor says 1010C. As you see there is some rust on the rails and it is a grease fitting adjustment for the tracks. The final drive on one side is covered in oil top to bottom but the rest of the uderside is dry. The sprokets look good and I was told the track would come off if you try to turn it to hard but I am thinking it is over adjusted is all. The tracks are very taught and there is no play anywhere on them.

[/url]

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 am

1010 crawler bascially come in two versions, early and late. Early has a different transmssion and gear ratios - and the gear shift is on the dashboard. Early trans uses a lot of 420 stuff, and late is almost the same as a 350 trans. (same case).

In regard to the track being tight. Could be that someone just pumped the adjuster out too far.

But . . . watch out for a broken stop-bolt. Under the tin cover on each track-frame is a large shock-absorber spring held to a certain installed length by a long bolt, nut, and cap. These sometimes break - and when they do - all the spring pressure is applied to the track.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 am

Hi Mike-

Just as an FYI, the "C" in your serial number "1010C" means "crawler" and isn't a model variant code like the 350B, 350C, etc. You just need to use the serial number with your parts book, as many parts vary between the early and late variants. Wanted to make sure you understood that.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi,

Quite often, a really tightened track is an attempted quick fix for a really worn out undercarriage. These rails look to be well past fully worn from what I can see in the photos.

What I can't see is the condition of the rollers. With the rock guards on, it's nearly impossible to see the rollers with the Mark-I eyeball, much less get a photo of them. My guess is that they are well past fully worn as well.

When the rails (chain links) get worn - and the rollers get worn right along with the rails - then the tracks want to ride up and slip off the rollers when turning. The overtightening of the rails is the usual attempt to try and stop this from happening....

My expectation would be to have to replace the 1010 u/c with JD350 parts, meaning all new chains, pads, rollers, idlers and sprockets. That's not cheap.

In other words, this looks to me like a machine that will require a lot of time and money before you can use it on projects.....

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)