bumper

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

bumper

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 pm

on my 58 /420 there is what i guess to be a bumper or counter weight? since it is heavy it has broke were it holds onto, this bracket bolts to motor, my question is do i need this on since i have a blade or is this important? it is heavy cast iron with two threaded rods about a foot long that bolts to front of tractor thanks,,,Eric

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Eric , according to my parts manual the bumper is part number M1023T , I have seen them on ebay . My crawler has a guide on the push frame that rides against one of the bolts for the grill guard . If your crawler was not equipped with a grill guard then the bumper was there to protect the crawlers radiator cowling from damage . Since you have a blade on it I would say the bumper is not necessary . But if you intend to use the crawler without the blade , the bumper could help to prevent damage to the radiator and it's cowling . Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:15 pm

thanks dan! mine does have the grill gaurd and lights on it, glad to know i dont need to put it back on, it came with dozer and i noticed where it went was broke and half welded, i dont plan on running without blade, kinda bought it to play in the snow and tinker out back a little... thanks Eric