Adjusting valves on 420

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Adjusting valves on 420

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi: When I adjusted the valves on my 420, I set up cylinder #1 on DC. The manual says to then turn the engine to bottom, but doesn't say exactly where that is. I found an unmarked engraved line on the flywheel that I assumed was the location. Was I correct? (there is a third line labeled "Spark"(which I know has another timing purpose). The valves were closed on #2 cylinder when at this unmarked line, and #1 had one open and one closed, but I have no way of knowing where the pushrods were on the cam. The dozer started and runs better at idle, ok under load and doesn't back fire when going down hill. I re-adjusted the load jet and the engine runs smoother under load now too. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Just had a Duh moment and the manual is in the shop - #1 cylinder is the one closest to the radiator, right?
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:48 am

My M manual says that after adjusting the front cyc, crank engine exactly one-half revolution and adjust rear tappets. It sounds like that is what you did. I will have to look for the other mark you mentioned.

Bob
1949 MC
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks, Snoopy. Let me know what you see. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch