MC wont move

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Denis in MI
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Denis in MI » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I found out that the left clutch is stuck in the disengaged position and the left brake is stuck to the drum. The cause of no movement is the engine clutch slipping so it looks like I will be duing a full on restoration of the crawler this spring. Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Denis

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Denis , a tarp and an propane or kerosene turbo heater would do wonders for the crawler . I bought a propane model as I use it for warming my Wisconsin engines before I fire them up in the winter . Cover the crawler with the tarp , not so tight that all the heat is trapped inside , but tight enough that the crawler is heated . I unfroze a friends D-8K from the ground with two these heaters and canvas tarps when his son ran it out of fuel and then ran the batteries dead trying to start it with an empty tank . Once the ground was soft enough we pulled the tarps pumped the primer pump and the old girl fired up with very little cranking . THen we moved it back to the shop and the son cleaned the track frames once it was parked on blocking in the shed it stays in . Once the tracks get warm they will release from the frozen ground . JMTC Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Then we moved it back to the shop and the son cleaned the track frames once it was parked on blocking in the shed it stays in
Did you let him heat up the dirt to get it off, or just let him pick away at it cold as a reminder? :roll:
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch