350 serial #

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
keithh
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 serial #

Post by keithh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:25 am

Hi all. Im new to the site and new to JD dozers/crawlers. Got a 350 in the late fall - seems to run well with just a few problems. Fuel leaks when it is running out of what appears to be the pump, and I have one piston that needs repacking. Smokes on startup - white, but settles down once it is warmed up. I untarped it this morning to get a serial# but the only plate I can find is on the seat housing which i thought was a vin#
T4F3D 056519T - on the other side is an hour meter. i'll get some pix this weekend as it is supposed to be in the 40s. Any guidance on the serial# / thanks / keith

jdemaris

Re: 350 serial #

Post by jdemaris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am

keithh wrote: Hi all. Im new to the site and new to JD dozers/crawlers. Got a 350 in the late fall - seems to run well with just a few problems. Fuel leaks when it is running out of what appears to be the pump, and I have one piston that needs repacking.
For getting the correct engine parts, you want to use the engine block casting # and nothing else. For injection pump parts, you need to ID the pump itself and get the numbers of the pump ID plate. Main thing you need to know is if it's a C series, or a DB/JDB series. First 350s had DB pumps, then C (no parts available and get upgraded to JDB), and then JDB pumps - kind of where they started. Many that came with C pumps got changed over.

Early blocks take different sleeves, oil pump parts, rear main seal, etc. than the later, and many injection pumps were upgraded. Block # is the only way to know for sure, but you can also use the engine serial # on the engine ID tag.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 am

Keith,
Go to the main message board and look at John Deere Crawler FAQ's.
Listed there are serial number ranges for the different series of crawlers.
Yours appears to be a mid 1967 production crawler in the 350 Straight series where Straight means there was no letter after the 350. The letters A,B, C, and D indicated sequential later upgrades. You need to get your manuals and parts accordingly.
Also, not that it makes a lot of difference , but you should post in the Late model tech section as on this board the 350,450 and up are concidered Late models. the Early models are the BO, M ,40,420-440. the orphan childern 1010 and 2010 kind of fit in between(in between what I'm not sure!)
As for the T4F not shure what that designates, The 3D I am pretty sure is 3 cylinder Diesel.
Lots of good info and knowlege on the board here like John above although I plead the 5th!

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

keithh
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keithh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 am

thanks for the info - i will do some number looking this weekend and post my findings - as for the year, the previous owner wrote up the bill of sale as a '64 with the vin# as posted above so i assumed it was an earlier model. i can tell you that it is 6way hydraulic blade, has a reverser, aux hydraulics on the right side of the machine. thanks again / keith

keithh
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keithh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:27 am

Sorry - he wrote those numbers on a bill of sale under the VIN line, so I can see by looking at the faqs, it appears to be mid-67s. and yes, it is a diesel. i'll move over to the late model posts after this