OVERHAULING A 440 ICD

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
1959440icd
MC crawler
MC crawler

OVERHAULING A 440 ICD

Post by 1959440icd » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 pm

I just recently purchased a 440 diesel dozer that has alot of oil blowby coming out of the mufler, I was wanting some input on how dificult it is to do an overhaul on this engine. I was planning to pull the head and have a valve job and replace sleeves,pistons,rings and bearings. Would this be a difficult job and is this going in far enough to solve the problem. THANKS, JIM C.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 pm

You probably should look at replacing valves, seats, and guides. A simple valve job will not alleviate oil consumption if it is coming past the guides. Plus, grinding the valves and seats on a 53 series recesses the valves further in the head, reducing compression, and contributing more to hard starting.
Lavoy

CAR
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by CAR » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Instead of grinding the head to avoid any further lose of compression, is hand lapping the valves the preferred method?
Craig

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:04 pm

It is really the same difference as far as depth, you are doing the same thing. If you could hand lap the valves enough to get the same job as grinding, you would be at the same depth. The problem with hand lapping is you could actually have one side of the valve cut more than the other, there is nothing to insure that everything wear away at the same rate. You will also likely never get near as good a job as would be done at a machine shop. There are just certain corners that either should not be cut, or will end up costing you money in the long run compared to doing it correctly.
Lavoy

1959440icd
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 1959440icd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice on the valves, I am now having difficult finding new sleeves,pistons,rings, and bearings. We have two John Deere dealers nearby and neither could get the parts. I was told to to check with an after-market parts dealer. Any sugestions on a good dependable parts supply. jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 pm

I can get you pretty much everything you need, just let me know.
Lavoy

old-larry
MC crawler
MC crawler

OVERHAULING A 440 ICD

Post by old-larry » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 pm

I have worked on a few hundred Detroit engines. I have never worked on a 2-53 but I have a 3-53. I would check the condition of the rings through the hand-hole covers in the side of the block. Next I would suspect the blower seals. If they are out it will blow oil right into the cylinders and out the top. If valve seals are out it's the intake valves that suck oil down the stems. Since these engine have no intake valves it's only outbound gas that passes he valves.