420 steering problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
industrial420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

420 steering problem

Post by industrial420c » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:43 am

hi guys

This is my first post so no pics yet . I have a 57 420 5 roller with 90 loader and when I bought it it was in terrible shape.mechanically and cosmetically. The motor was stuck like nothing i've ever seen before and ive rebuilt many motors .I have completely rebuilt the motor . and rebuilt the clutch .and just a few days ago i got it running and drove it around .everything works great including the reverser /hydrolics /brakes . now heres the problem the steering cluches. left turn clutch works but is very hard to pull back and will stick /stay in position. The brake works and the crawler steers left ok.right turn clutch is loose front to back only and does not turn the crawler. all the way to the rear and the brake will try to stall out the tractor with no turning effort .my question is is there an adjustment for the right clutch or do I have to go inside and will the left clutch loosen up with use or is it normal to not return on its own.

thanks for any info Walt:D

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:37 am

take off the inspection cover and you will see a bolt with a slot under it right behind the throw out bearing. If you haven't had this part apart it might be hard to break loose. You should be able to pull your steering lever back 1&9/16" inches before the throw out bearing makes contact. on your other side is your brake makeing contact to soon?

industrial420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by industrial420c » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:29 pm

i will pull the covers off monday.and see what i have

walt

industrial420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by industrial420c » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:01 am

ok i finally got the covers off. when i move the right steering lever i have about an inch of free play in the throw out bearing.indicating to me that the cluch is rusted in position and wont release. i tried pushing against a large dirt pile while trying the right clutch in hopes it would break loose but it didnt.so i will pull it apart asap weather permitting. the left lever is getting much better almost returning on its own.i think it will be ok.

walt

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 pm

Walt-

After you go through one side .. you'll realize it's worth doing both sides. Good luck with your project though and don't be intimidated.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.