1010 buying question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:43 pm

I just looked at the pictures. As my daughter and her friends used to say in junior high school, "Oh - my- God." Use pause between each word for effect and drama; that thing isn't worth 300 in my opinion. Whoo. But I went to church this morning so I must be charitable; I'm sure there's something good about it.
2 1010 loaders
1 Massey Ferguson loader backhoe
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am

robk wrote:I just looked at the pictures. As my daughter and her friends used to say in junior high school, "Oh - my- God." Use pause between each word for effect and drama; that thing isn't worth 300 in my opinion. Whoo. But I went to church this morning so I must be charitable; I'm sure there's something good about it.
I dunno- as scrap it's worth more than $300 but likely very debatable if worth $3000. One nice thing is it has the backhoe/toolbar brackets and a swinging drawbar- those seem to be somewhat hard to come by for a 1010. It also still has relatively decent triple bar track pads- however difficult to see the rails or rest of undercarriage. I have seen a lot worse wrecks than it.

However Bill is right about restoring 1010s- a lot of work just to find parts. Also gas engine in the loader is not the most desireable attribute.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tim_in_IA
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tim_in_IA » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am

the sprockets were in good shape. the rollers were covered in dirt so I couldn't really tell. I am definitely not pursuing it further but if anyone wants a whack at it I'll send a phone #. He is VERY firm on price which was another issue... He seems to think with 1200 of new clutches (i think it woudl cost more when you get into it) that it will magically be worth 8 grand.
1958 440ic with blade

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:13 am

This is too good not to add my one cent's worth. I have a "friend" here in town I grew up with who has a 350 (no a,b or c) with a supposedly new rebuilt engine but no steering on one side and not much on the other side. A contractor gave it to him just so he'd move it off the job where it stopped. "The JD dealer says he can get $7,000 for it at auction just the way it is," he told me.
"Wow! I'd do that in a heartbeat!" was my response.
This conversation took place five years ago. It's still in his yard.
I'm married. There's a limit in my house to how many "parts" I can have, whether "the parts" are "assembled" or not.
I LOVE Bill Wattson's advice above (in caps as I remember). It is so true.
I'm insane. If you are reading this, you are too. Get medication and counseling, there IS something wrong with you. Over and out.
2 1010 loaders
1 Massey Ferguson loader backhoe
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:23 am

Ok I'm kinda new at this, just in the looking for stage. But my take is that there are a lot of people out there who have an inflated idea of the value of the stuff they own. But if you were trying to sell the same item you would be told that you are way too high.

I am going to look at a mid 50's Cat crawler loader later this week. The guy that has it seems to be pretty up front, got a price from a scrape dealer and will sell it to anyone who will save and get it running again for the same price.

May just have to put off looking for a JD a little longer.

Rick