oil thru exhaust pipe

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

oil thru exhaust pipe

Post by frozendozer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 pm

hi all

I jsut got my JD 440icd running after a two year sit, before that it had sat idle for about 5 years. the time it ran in between was for about 20 minutes.

I had to replace a rotor vane on the blower and a fuel pump. I just got it started and was letting it sit and run for a few minutes. It ran for about 3 minutes and then i spotted some oil coming out of the exhaust pipe. The oil was flowing between the muffle and the manifold and leaked out about 5 table sppons.

I shut the motor down and started it again, but was not able to spot any oil coming out.

I wonder if i hooked up the started in reverse, and the motor is running backwards?

other then the oil, the motor sounds smooth.

thanks all

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:26 pm

If a 2-53 is started in reverse you should get exhaust smoke out the intake because the blower would be rotating backwards and excavating the cylinders instead of putting fresh air in. Also it you have a flapper valve on the exhaust, it will be pulled shut. Sounds like it was just slobbering. Is the drain hole open below/behind the governor?
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm

i had the smoke coming out of the right end when i got the machine started. I didn't know about a drain plug behind the governor, but i did notice a small fitting on the block that has a short piece of copper tubing. I did paint the machine, perhaps i clogged up the end of this tube. it appears to be some kind of vent. Any ideas?

should the drain be open? What would it look like?

Can you tell me what you mean by "slobbering". Its pretty messy, what causes it?

When i installed my blower, I had to cut my own gaskets, perhaps a compromised gasket could have something to do with it?

I also installed a new oil filter system using an after market adapter and regular ford spin on filter. The line I used to plumb this in, are of the same inside diameter as the factory lines, but the fittings create a lot of restriction. Could this have anything to do with it?

thanks all

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 pm

i unclogged the drain line and started up the machine. while i was cleaning the fitting a thick oil goo was draining from the opening. I attached a duplicate size fitting in the location that the drain tube was and fitted on a rubber hose to the fitting and placed the hose in a bottle. Before i had done this i blew in the tube and made sure that i had a clear line.

I started the machine and notice that the black goo that was draining out faster. i have now about 1/2 bottle of coke full of black goo. the slobbering seemed to slow down and i noticed that the black goo seemed to be slowing down as well. i thought that perhaps i had solved the problem when the slobbering picked up speed. i then noticed that the drain tube was plugged again. i unplugged the tube once again and now find that the goo is draining more from the air vent and that the engine is still slobbering.

Does this point to injectors needed?

It start easy and runs great otherwise, its just very messy.

Does it point to other problems in the motor?

thanks

frozendozer

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:20 am

I know just enough about detroit (GM) diesel engines to be dangerous so don't take everything I say as gospel. As I see it slobber is excess unburned oil getting out the exhaust pipe. It can only come from a few places. 1) Possible cracked head? 2) Around the exhaust valve stems? 3) From the cylinder thru the valve when it is open?
A normal engine oil could be coming from the crankcase around the rings. A 2-53 has the intake area at the base of the cylinders and that should keep the oil from getting around the cylinders. The 2-53 piston has two oil control rings, one just below the compression rings and one at the bottom of the piston. I assume the one at the bottom of the piston is to keep oil from getting up to the intake ports. It could be stuck and be the cause of your oil leakage problems. Or you can be getting oil in the intake area from the blower, did you get all the seals togther right when you rebuilt the blower? I would have thought the slight positive pressure of the blower in the intake would keep the oil down in the bottom end. I assume your engine is a late one without the access plate behind the governor?
My '59, when I got it was leaking oil out the governor. It is a two piece housing and mine was coming apart. When I finally got it off two screws were missing in action and the others were backed off over a turn. To get the governor off I had to remove the access plate. While cleaning carbon out of the intake area I discovered there was a drain and mine was sludged/carboned up. Interesting, you have to remove the plate and governor together, neither will come off without removing the other. Just my ideas.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 am

Slobbering is fairly common in diesels that idle a long time. The reason being is that a diesel at idle will not generate enough heat to get a clean burn. Work the engine some and see if it doesn't go away.
Detroit diesels were probably the worse for this, especially the 2 cycle. But all diesels will do it.
One other thing, if the breather is plugged you will see an increase in consumption of oil.
Hope this helps
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:53 pm

i removed the blower and was able to suck out considerable amount of goop from that side. I then removed the fitting from the other side of the block, this created a opening that had no restrictions at all.

i started the motor again and this time there was no slobbering and air was moving thru the air vent at hi pressure. I ran the motor for about 20 minutes at high speed and noticed a fine black spray was exiting the motor from the vent.

now the motor runs great and no slobbering.

thanks all for you help