Leaking Gearmatic 8A on my 420c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
maplebones
MC crawler
MC crawler

Leaking Gearmatic 8A on my 420c

Post by maplebones » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:57 am

The hydraulic line for the clutch on this unit goes through the center of the right side cover. The line makes a connection at that point with the turning assembly, and to seal the connection there is a small rubber fitting. It's a disc about 1/2 inch diameter that looks like a brake cylinder cup, except that there is a 1/4 inch hole in the center for the line to go through. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement? It seems that I remember reading about someone who had parts for these older winches.

I'd also like to replace the cable on this winch. The old one is 1/2 inch which seems excessive for a 420. I'm thinking of going to 7/16 or 3/8 which would be easier for an old man like myself to drag uphill. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
420c

boler76
430 crawler
430 crawler

420c winch cable

Post by boler76 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:19 am

As for parts I have no advice, but the cable I use on my crawler winch is 3/8" and it works fine, even made up some 3/8" chokers and they work fine also.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:25 am

I think I have some of the rotator cups on hand, normally try to.
The Gearmatics will hold 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" cable.
Lavoy

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 pm

I think cable size would depend on what you're doing with it, if it's just dragging tree trunks around then 3/8" is fine. If I had a winch on mine I would want to be able to brace the machine against something and pull out big rocks and other stubborn stuff, and I wouldn't be comfortable sitting in the line of fire with less than 1/2" wire rope.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Just another opinion.
I like 1/2" cable on this small machine; I run two standard chokers with hooks (rather than keyholes) and a grab hook behind the knot giving me the ability to pull three individual stems, or to wrap around a big tree to help back up a steep hill. With the bigger cable, I feel confident when I have to pull out a stuck car or self-assist. A smaller cable may not have the strength needed in these situations, and a broken cable is costly, frustrating and potentially dangerous.
That being said, if you use your machine more gently, a smaller cable is cheaper, lighter, and now has readily available sliders and chokers to match ( ie: Farmi winch accessories)

Hope this is useful. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch