blower operation

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

blower operation

Post by frozen dozer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:35 pm

can someone explian t me how the blower gets its lubrication. i removed my blower and found oil inside. is this normal. when i removed the blower i did not have any oil lines to remove.

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 am

Hi,

If it did not have any external lines than it should have internal passages from its mounting area to the engine. Suggest getting a manual to verify.

Don
1959 440 IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:28 pm

I believe oil on the inside is not correct. Usually if a Detroit gets oil in the blower, it will cause the engine to run wild and blow up. The larger Detroits had a valve that can be shut to kill the air going into the engine to shut them down when this occurs.
There is an update on the blower seal, it may be worth you time to remove the blower and take it to a Detroit shop to see if it has the updated seals.
Lavoy

emichaelhaynes
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by emichaelhaynes » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:45 pm

yup,
oil in the blower ain't right but don't forget about that !#@@# oil bath air cleaner as a source. chances are you (and i) need the seals updated to the latest. it'd be a shame to go through all that trouble (and expense) and have the air filter do a number on your head. K&N makes some cute filters. haven't actually tried one yet but that's next on my list.

This one might work directly on the blower:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RP-5118

once i get my blower back on i'll double check dimensions and try one. stay tuned...

michael

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

tilting an oilbath

Post by pop pop » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 am

you guys have any luck with changing out the oilbath to the dry type filters?i would consider this only because i plan to do some steep climbing and oilbath might not be so good.