Digging a pond

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Digging a pond

Post by JD40c » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 pm

My boss is asking if I can dig a small irrigation pond for him on some land he is acquiring. I figure it'll be about 100X50 to about 4 feet deep. I'm contemplating building a box scraper like:

Having never done anything bigger than remove smallish tree stumps, is a job that size realistic for a 40C without taking weeks to accomplish? The pond sides would be sloped, it wouldn't have vertical walls.
1955 John Deere 40C 4-roller

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 pm

It will definitlely move the dirt. I have an 8' Killefer box scraper just about like the one in the picture.
One thing to keep in mind is that you are only going to get 1-2 yards per load. A 50' X 100' X 4' deep pond with straight walls would be 740 yards of dirt to move, so it will take you a while.
Sounds to me like a good excuse to sit on a crawler for a while. OR, sounds like a better excuse to buy another crawler.
Lavoy

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Digging a pond

Post by BKahler » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:21 pm

JD40c wrote:My boss is asking if I can dig a small irrigation pond for him on some land he is acquiring. I figure it'll be about 100X50 to about 4 feet deep. I'm contemplating building a box scraper like:

Having never done anything bigger than remove smallish tree stumps, is a job that size realistic for a 40C without taking weeks to accomplish? The pond sides would be sloped, it wouldn't have vertical walls.
Hmm, care to explain how this box scrapper works? :?

Thanks,

Brad

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 am

The hydraulic cylinder on the back raises and lowers the wheels controlling the depth of cut. Basically, you drop it down so it rolls up the earth without totally bogging the tractor, and drag the earth off to where you want to dump it.

I'd *dig* another crawler but it's not in the budget :-) After asking the boss, I won't actually be moving that much earth. He says there's a natural depression where the pond will be, so the amount of earthmoving will be a lot less.

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by BKahler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:07 am

JD40c wrote:The hydraulic cylinder on the back raises and lowers the wheels controlling the depth of cut. Basically, you drop it down so it rolls up the earth without totally bogging the tractor, and drag the earth off to where you want to dump it.

I'd *dig* another crawler but it's not in the budget :-) After asking the boss, I won't actually be moving that much earth. He says there's a natural depression where the pond will be, so the amount of earthmoving will be a lot less.
Sounds like a box blade as used with a wheeled tractor. The wheels are what threw me off. Makes sense though. :D

Thanks,

Brad

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pond for Boss

Post by Little John » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:10 pm

Sounds like the Boss may be 'negotiating' from a 'position of strength', I'd be very careful of involvement if you think the job MAY be beyond your equipment. You could just 'upset' the boss as well as destroy your equipment. If the site has a side slope then the 'tongue' pulled box or 'pan' will of course want to slide down the slope as you try to pull it along the slope. If it only cuts the same depth on each side then you can't correct the problem and have a 'tough row to hoe' in front of you and your tractor.. Since no monetary condideration has been mentioned, I'd assume that the boss will pick up all costs...does that include break downs ???? (Would he buy your rig ??) You might stay in good graces with the boss by trying it with no promises of completion.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:40 pm

If you have anything that can work the ground in front of it, the box scraper will move so much dirt that you won't hardly believe it. They will not really dig in hard conditions, but in loose dirt, my 8' Killefer will really dog a good 420 in 2nd gear. At that level, it is dragging 2 yards or more of dirt.
Lavoy

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Naw. There's no funny business from my boss. He's not that kind of person at all. If we start the project and it's just not working out (too big a job) I have no problem with letting him know. He knows the 40C is my toy and I don't like breaking it :-)

If I'm going to build one of these scrapers, I wonder how it'd work to implement five small shanks under hydraulic control that ride in front of the scraper blade, and when you come around for the next pass, just raise the teeth and start moving earth.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:07 am

Shouldn't hurt a thing, there are 3PT moounted box scrapers that have hydraulically retractable scarifier teeth. I think it would work kind of slick.
Lavoy

Little John
430 crawler
430 crawler

Pond/Building scraper

Post by Little John » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:27 pm

It is nice to have such a boss. I was lucky once too.
If you are going to build it, then you might want to consider incorporating a method to lower the teeth further on one side than the other, wheels too for that matter. That should allow you to control it kinda like a 3 pt unit and make it more versatile.

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:13 pm

Actually that'd be pretty easy. Add a linkage using a trailer tongue jack on one of the wheel assemblies that adjusts it's angle. Good idea.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:24 pm

Up mere in ontario an equipment manufacturer makes those scrapers with lift that is independent on back wheels and a 5 point scarfier infront of blade but when I priced them I decided to put a few more hours into blade pushing and forget the scraper If you want Iwill see if I can get a photo of that scraper though. Digitup

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 pm

If you can get pictures, that'd be great!