button fittings

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

button fittings

Post by Crawlinhome » Mon May 17, 2010 4:43 pm

hey y'all im new to the antique equipment world an i was wonderin how to go about greasing button fittings i have a regular grease gun but abviously that wont fit any tips
WHY WALK HOME WHEN I CAN CRAWL

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 pm

(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Crawlinhome » Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 pm

ok so i need a different gun ar they easy to come by where would i find one

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 17, 2010 5:27 pm

I normally have tips on hand. As to grease gun, the gun you need does not exist any more. What I suggest is pistol grip gun, that will give you the most feel as far as knowing when to stop so as to not blow the seals out.
Lavoy

Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Crawlinhome » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

how do u tell the pressure thou its not like a normal machine where u grease till you see it comin out around what your greasing?

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 pm

The original roller button head gun was a low pressure gun that was used to fill rollers with oil. It was low pressure so that you could feel the resistance on the handle when the roller was full so that you didn't blow out the seals in the rollers(now over $100 each seal). The button head was for resistance to wear and breakage from rocks and also different so you wouldn't use the wrong gun and blow out the seals. They don't make the low pressure gun anymore so therefor Lavoys suggestion of using the pistol grip type gun(a little lower pressure) and carefull pumping feeling for any hint of resistance. He carries the correct size button head fitting which screws onto the grease gun hose.
The next question is what do you pump into the rollers. Originally they used oil but as they wear they often leak so the current suggestion is to use John Deere corn head grease which is a thin grease that "flows" but is thick enough to stay behind the marginal seals.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Crawlinhome » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 pm

good to no thx for the input folks

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon May 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Crawlinhome wrote:good to no thx for the input folks
Crawlin' welcome to the board.

I hate to bring this up, but please do not use texting spelling!! I know that some people find it cute to do that, but it makes for hard reading.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

H-D
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by H-D » Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 am

Textin'?...I just thought the boy was another Southron! Seriously though, I wonder how '00' grease like Snapper uses in its mower differentials & drive boxes would work as a replacement for corn head grease? Anyone ever use any 500 weight gear oil? That's all that would stay in a Ford tractor mower I had after I changed the original 'obsolete' seals out for the 'modern' rubber lipped versions.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 am

Hi,

Yes, the texting spelling got me, too.

On the first read through, I thought he was saying 'no thanks' as if he didn't think we were helpful at all telling him that low pressure guns are no more.

That made no sense, so I read it again. Of course, on the second read through, I see where it reads 'good to know, thanks'. I had just read it through a bit too quickly, is all.

And, I have an easier time with text-speak than most, as it's really mostly borrowed from telegraph shorthand! Yet, it still tripped me up as I was not expecting to see it around here.....

I've been a ham radio op since 1976 and have spent a lot of time with radiotelegraph. We tend to leave out vowels and use phonetic contractions since one has to spell out each letter in Morse Code, which is even tougher than using phone keys with multiple letters on them!

Of course, the texters have yet to stumble on all the cipher groups used in telegraphy, like 'QSO' for 'Conversation' and '73' for 'Best Regards' and the like. ;)

What's really fun is when hams that know Morse and all those ciphers text each other, because we then use all those super-shorthands in the texts - and then some other texter sees those and gets all befuddled! :P

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I still have a low pressure gun from back in the day, with more than half of a 5 gallon pail of this super-thick coal-tar roller lubricant which dad had from sometime back in the late 1940's - as it's Socony-Vacuum Gargoyle brand!

That name went out in 1955, so the lube is older than the machine I use it in. It's a pain to use as one has to pour it into the old gun - there's no neat cardboard tube. It moves slower than molasses, literally, so one is there for a while getting the lube into the gun. Then, the gun has to be hung nose down, or the stuff will slowly leak out the back end.

I also have a modern pistol grip gun with Deere Corn Head grease in it. I keep that one in the toolbox on the truck for when I have the crawler elsewhere. It won't leak and make a mess.

The Corn Head grease isn't as thin as the old Gargoyle stuff, but it does flow much better than anything else I've seen that comes in a cardboard tube.

As was said, stop pumping a pistol grip at the very first sign of resistance to the flow of grease and your seals will be fine. And, you can feel it when it happens. Just don't stab at the handle, but gently squeeze it and you'll get good feedback from it.

later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Crawlinhome » Tue May 18, 2010 4:54 pm

sorry about the confussion folks used to writen like that when im on the computer but thank you all for the help

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Glad you are getting some value out of the knowledge of the board.

As to texting, I think the concern of many of the old timers is that the next generation may not actually know the difference between:
"writen like that..." and
"writing like that..."
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Crawlinhome
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Crawlinhome » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm

haha ridiculous i talked to my grandfather an old farmer an he's like yea i have three of those button fitting guns in the barn says he gottem in the 50's

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:46 pm

H-D wrote:Textin'?...I just thought the boy was another Southron! Seriously though, I wonder how '00' grease like Snapper uses in its mower differentials & drive boxes would work as a replacement for corn head grease?
Corn head grease is 00 weight, I think.

gerald
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gerald » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm

crawlinhome Im glad I didn't have a button head fitting fitting when I was pumping grease into evey fitting I could find lol .
1970 350 crawer/loader 93a back hoe