Project 2010 Diesel to Gas.... part 2

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
RogerW
40C crawler
40C crawler

Project 2010 Diesel to Gas.... part 2

Post by RogerW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Moving ahead with the change from diesel to gas on a 2010. So far everything seems straight forward with nothing more involved than moving parts from the diesel motor to the gas motor. Some notables are;
Diesel water pump and bracket are different than gas. Diesel fan is a large pusher and gas is small puller.
Gas v-belt are 1/2" and diesel is 5/8".
Diesel starter is bigger than gas.
Radiator inlet/outlet locations are roughly the same. Diesel radiator is bigger.
Fuel tanks similar with different outlets. Diesel tank can be used after plugging the unused outlets.
Grill insert from industrial tractor fits in the crawler.
Flywheel from diesel must be moved to gas motor.
Crankshaft pulley from diesel can be used without interfering with governor.
Diesel aircleaner should lineup with gas intake manifold without much effort.
Hood from gas tractor will go on with no issues.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Make sure the diesel flywheel is a listed as a part number for the gas. If it is different, it may be balanced different and could cause problems.
Lavoy

RogerW
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by RogerW » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:48 am

Didn't think of that. Better do some checking.
When you reinstall the motor do you find it easier to leave off the heavy cast front "chin" motor mount or do you put it all together and slide it in?

robvds
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by robvds » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 am

Can a flywheel be balanced on one engine but not another? What is the component between the ex manifold and the valve cover on the gas motor? I haven't noticed it on mine.Does the diesel use a spacer on the starter like the gas? Are the starters interchangeable?

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

2010 diesel gone bad-install gas

Post by CHA011 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Is the diesel 2010 165 broken eng available and if so were are you at..This is PA
What is your progress to this point

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pammark » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 am

I would suggest removing the front "Chin" before mounting the motor. That way the motor only needs to line up with the bell housing and bolt up. Plus, if you have to slide the motor clutch/pilot bearing in, you can. The chin is held on with 6 bolts on the frame and 4 on the engine. Remember not to put the crank pulley on until afterwards. It may be in the way to mount up the chin.

While you have the chin removed, check underneath for twisted off belly pan bolts. Mine had 4 of the five twisted off. I finshed drilling them out with 1/4" bit and heating to shrink.

Mark
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

chet
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by chet » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 pm

CHA011,
I still have almost all of the 165 diesel from my switch. It has a spun main. What all were you looking for?

CHA011
420 crawler
420 crawler

2010 projects

Post by CHA011 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I have 3 crawler loaders, currently using one as donor parts.. I replaced the engine in one with a rebuilt, done myself, for the original engine which had #1 connecting rod through to block. Right now I am grinding that crankshaft for a built up, and have hopes of repairing the block.. Which means I would need a piece of the block (just cutter out of it), say 6" square. Than cames the cylinder sleeve deck.. Gind/ machine off a cylinder from the deck and fit it to my orginal sleeve deck.. I hope the donor crawler doesnot become pile of metal.

All this means price would have to be cheap because this may not work.. Shipping is also an issue.. Bottom line if this is available it would have to be cheap. Thanks for your interst in a dreaming project..