no compression

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:07 am

Hi,

While a V8 sounds like a fun project idea, you'd never get the thing fit in there. Unlike a car, machines are designed around the engine choice with no room to use anything else. Even if you did shoehorn it in there, the thing would have way too much power as Lavoy points out.

Deere did this with the 435. They took the back half of the 430w as-is and put the GM 2-53 diesel in from the 440 to produce a haying tractor. It had a 1000 RPM PTO to run a larger baler. As it was meant, it was a great tractor. Unfortunately a lot of them had their ring and pinion gears worn out in a hurry as farmers figured out that one could pull an extra plow bottom or two with that extra HP.

Not only would you have too much power with a V8, but a completely wrong power curve for the machine to actually do the work properly. So, even if it didn't bust everything else in the powertrain, you'd find it really difficult to actually use.

Still, I know what you're thinking of: Those Ford N series tractors you see at shows where someone yanked the flathead 4 out for a flathead V8. Those *do* look really cool, but they're not machines that are used for anything other than running around at shows. ;)

later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

ritchiegilby
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ritchiegilby » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:56 pm

yeh i figured the drive train thing with more power and I do agree with the value, that is why i went with a drop in replacment i am just reluctant to try this again, i am hopeful there was a crack in the piston, but why would i have no conpression in all cylinders after the piston break ???Lavoy I will call you if i need them i am checking with the local engine machine shop, they are much closer and very reputable, I actually put it on Kijiji for 2500.00 got a few takers already I am really frustrated and discouraged, machine does not owe me anything