420 C pressure plate panic!!!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
derf
40C crawler
40C crawler

420 C pressure plate panic!!!

Post by derf » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 am

Hi all;
Can anyone tell me the setup dimension (depth of throat) for the tool to set up the steering clutch pressure plate. I have seen a picture of it and there was a dimension of 2.012 in a thread somewhere but it may have been for the engine clutch.
I am planning to build two clutch packs from salvage parts today and it would be nice to start off with the correct height on the fingers. :?: :?:

Many thanks to all, for your topics and administration. I read and learn every day from the experiences of others here. I hope to get my photobucket working soon and post some pics.........

Forum, pm, or email ............derf.......... :D :D
There is more to life than good gas milage

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 am

I don't know the dimensions, but I think Lavoy still sells a version of the JD gauge for a reasonable price.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

derf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by derf » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 am

Thank you Tigerhaze, Yes, I think Lavoy probably has the gauge, but it is about two weeks away and a bunch of canadian bucks to boot. Surely someone knows the measurement, surprised the JD manuals don't spell it out, not that I could see anyhow..

ttys ........derf....... :D :D

derf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by derf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Had a good day today, cleaning up clutch and pressure plate parts. Took a few pressure plates apart and lightly refaced a couple in the lathe. they look great. I'm working on 420 finals for my MC and I have no less than 2 parts donor machines, so a lot of pieces to choose from, I'm old but just a retired rookie on crawlers...

I will probably use some of my preloading skills (I learned a lot here) this weekend, to assemble the final gearing...

I still need the measurement for the pressure plate finger setting, but that will come to me or I will "wing" it....

Someone asked about the equalizer spring between the two axels.. Well the one I have measures about 1 and 13/16" long and wire size is .120. It looks like a light valve spring and doesn't have big tension. Of the two 420 donors and the MC only the MC had the spring. The manuals show they all should have a spring and all the same part number.

"Good Rule to remember" An old pro told me a long time ago. " Don't even think about going under a machine to replace the oil drain plug until you have the wrench that fits it in your other hand"

..........derf.......... :D :D