Where are all of the Lindeman owners?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Where are all of the Lindeman owners?

Post by michdeere » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm new to this board, and after a lot of searching, I don't see a lot of info/posts on the Lindeman crawlers. I just bought a '42 model and I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions when I start restoration next Fall. Are there other Lindeman owners on here? Thanks!

codyg
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by codyg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I just finished restoring a 1946 model electric start lindeman I would be glad to help all I can Cody

JPreszlerND
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by JPreszlerND » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 am

I own a 1941 Flatback Lindeman. I am curious to know your serial number for your 1942 as it also may be a flatback. Be sure to register your Lindeman at www.lindemanarchives.com as Ted likes to keep his site up to date. Justin

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

3 In West Central Alberta

Post by JWB Contracting » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 pm

We have the following:

1 with electric start, restored but not mint condition

One with the factory tool bar dozer, decent but unrestored condition

One with hydraulics, unrestored runner.

When any one asks my dad if he has a lindeman, he says no, pauses, and then says he has 3. We store them in separate sheds as would not want to loose all three if we had a fire. We have them for a while, 20, 5 and 3 years so the colletions has been in the works for some time. The restored one when across the ramp 3 years ago here in Edmonton and was an excellent buy. The dozer machine came from Wenachee Washington, purchased off ebay. And are first one came out of BC and was traded into us on a 450C.

Always on the look out for more, hoping they will be a better investment than the stock market but alteast they are fun to drive around.

I have pushed some snow with the dozer machine, but would not dare push some dirt as i would think parts are hard to come from.

Does anyone know if the tool bar dozer from an mc is the same as the lindeman? I may want to restore the dozer machine, the dozer is complete but in fairly poor condition.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:22 pm

JPreszlerND wrote:I own a 1941 Flatback Lindeman. I am curious to know your serial number for your 1942 as it also may be a flatback. Be sure to register your Lindeman at www.lindemanarchives.com as Ted likes to keep his site up to date. Justin
Mine is 332931. I have registered it with Ted. He seems like a great guy and has a ton of information. Mine steers a little hard to the right, left is fine. I'm kind of worried that steering clutches/parts may be tough to come by. Does somebody renew pins and bushings if I end up needing that service? Also, the rubber bushing/mounts that the undercarriage attaches to the tractor with. Can they be replaced? How about the knobs on the ends of the throttle & steering levers? Thanks.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 pm

I can rebush tracks, and have access to new bushings for the crossbars.
At one time I had some knobs left, but I think I am out.
Lavoy

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Lavoy wrote:I can rebush tracks, and have access to new bushings for the crossbars.
At one time I had some knobs left, but I think I am out.
Lavoy
Lavoy,

I'l get in touch with you on the rubber bushings and the tracks. I'm sure rebushing the tracks is costly, is there a general rule of pricing per link or per track? If I do this, would you be attending Expo in Waterloo or Canandaigua so I could save some freight $$?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 am

I plan on coming to Waterloo. Rebushing is in the $1000 range if the pads are removed prior to me getting the rails, higher if I do it.
Lavoy

WyoCat
40C crawler
40C crawler

My Lindeman

Post by WyoCat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Here is my lindeman. I am located in Laramie, Wy.

Image[/img]
C. Enyeart

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm

thats a fine looking lindeman, Wyoming cat!! Looks like you got it some new shoes. Pat

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Very nice WyoCat. I'm also curious about the track pads. Are they new? Where did you buy them?

WyoCat
40C crawler
40C crawler

pads

Post by WyoCat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Pat and michdeere,
Thank you for the nice comments. Long story short I found an ad in the classified ad section of ytmag.com (not photo ads) for a set of early john deere crawler tracks up in MN. They turned out to be what you see now. I took the pads off and put on my rails as my track chains are in great shape. The above pictures are of right after I installed the sand blasted and freshly painted pads. If you can see they are actually MC pads. The front corners are stamped round. I also have a set of new pads from 2005 or 2006. Ted Adams made them for me but I understabnd that Lavoy owns the dies now. These new pads are awesome. I am reluctant to put them on as they are only new once. If you guys are looking for good pads,get a new set you will not be disappointed!!! Here are a few pictures showing all three pads. My old shot pads, the new ones and then what is one my crawler now. My old pads would be available if someone wanted them. PM me, the price would be right! I have always thought that these pads would be good to weld on a piece of 1/4" flat bar for a grouser and run them. I might do that for one of my other Lindemans. Not sure yet.

C. Enyeart

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 pm

WyoCat,
I'd LOVE to find a new set of pads for my Lindeman. The previous owner welded the heads of all the bolts to the pads. I don't know why you'd weld all of them? I could see maybe a few if the bolt holes were wallowed out. I'm a stickler for original/correct machines, so that'll have to be fixed. I was under the impression Lavoy had the dies, but that he wasn't stamping any new ones with them? Maybe he's reading this and will chime in. If you EVER have the notion to sell your new pads (hint hint)...

Again, nice looking crawler.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 am

Yes I have the die, would like to start making pads, along with a hundred other projects.
The problem with stamping the pads is they have to be done hot, so I have to find a way to build an oven or forge I can heat them in. Then I need to find a press to do it in. I had one located in town that I could use, but they sold it recently, so that shoots that idea.
Probably the largest problem is everybody wants a set of pads, as long as they are $5/each with new bolts and free freight. Ted told me years ago that he had $35/each just in the laser cuts pieces alone. Luckily he had access to a press he could use for free, and he cobbled up an oven of sorts to heat them in. He was selling the pads for $32/each, at a $3/pad loss, you would have to do a lot of volume to make any money.
Lavoy

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am

Lavoy,

I'd be happy to pay the freight on $5 pads :D ! I completely understand your situation though. Keep us posted on the track pad status, maybe a workable solution will be found.