Fix or part out?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Dad"s 440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Fix or part out?

Post by Dad"s 440 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 am

Hi guru's of the dirt toys. I have a question if I should repair or part out a 440 crawler. It has water in through the rusted out exhaust, so the motor is rusted. It has a gearmatic winch, 5 speed with reverser, front manual pivot blade, canopy. The tracks are shot, blade cylinders rust pitted, One steering brake worked when it was last run, about 10 years ago. Some pictures can be seen here, http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/smorto12/

I don't have the serial number yet, but will post it when I get a chance.

I've looked for any ads for running 2 cyl gas engines, but they don't seem to exist!

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dad for the project "Zombie" to keep me and your grandson busy

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Sat May 14, 2011 11:30 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Thu May 30, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Dad"s 440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dad"s 440 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Assuming I go ahead with the repair, Does anybody have a line on a running, or rebuild-able gas engine? How much should I expect to pay?

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

I had a pair of 440s a few years back, was going to rebuild a diesel loader,with parts(rails and pads) from a older gas 440, but after trying to locate parts and certain items, I spent more then anticipated and thought this aint going to be cost effective for my means, so I sold them and bought a 78 350 loader, glad I did, if you have the money and its all about that, money(for parts and service) and time.then go for it,otherwise, drag it out, clean it, paint it, and make it a kids outdoor playset....just my thoughts, but then again, there are hardcore 440 fans out there.........Goodluck..Cc
1978 350b loader w/winch

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I would tear the engine apart first to see just what would need to be replaced and what condition it is in. Easy engine to rebuild and parts are available. Then you have put your money into getting an engine you know is in good condition.

If you do decide to buy a different engine, look for a JD430 as well as JD440. Even a JD420 with some slight modification. Crawler or wheel tractor. Green or yellow. Should not be too hard to find.

My main concern would be your under carriage. Looks well worn from your photos. Could need more dollars there than you might expect. Still your crawler is not all rusted and beaten up. Should restore well, if not cheaply.
Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

mapaduke@yahoo.com
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mapaduke@yahoo.com » Sat May 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi I just finished rebuilding a 440 and after pushing dirt with it for the first time after the rebuild and every thing worked like it should it was very rewarding.On the down side I had to spend alot of money and time.First thing I would do would be to go over it with a fine tooth comb by looking at every thing closely and wright every thing down thats needed. start with the engine look for any visible cracks in the block if no cracks than you may want to rebuild it for a little more than a used running one would be.next remove the transmission shift lever and cover inspect the gears for pitting and wear,you may want to drain oil first.Then look at the final drive housings for cracks .Plan on adding steering clutches ,engine clutch and oil seals to your list.The tracks can be pricey to have repinned I could not tell from your pictures if the bushings are worn through?Now you have a list of needs check with Lavoy for prices he should have most every thing you will need .Now you will have a good idea of what this project will cost to base your decision on.An owners, service and parts manual are Worth Their weight in Gold on a project like this and should be the first thing you buy. There is enough of us here that can help you with it along the way.
I didn't want to discourage you but if you have a good idea of whats needed it will make the project more enjoyable.
Just my opinion Ron. :)
nothing crawles like a deere

boto1
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by boto1 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 pm

that looks go to me i would roll up sleves and start at front and go to rear , but thats just me good luck with your decision.
Proud new owner of a 1949 MC and 1952 MC / former us marine/ LVTP7-A1 repairman

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:05 am

You may hear a few folks talk about what it "cost" to rebuild one of these, but that is not the point. If you do not have some play money or do not want to spend it, you are not wanting a crawler in the first place. They ALL cost money.
You should be able to find a good gas engine out there, plenty of them parted out.
The 440's are the last model of two cylinder crawlers from JD. They are easier to haul, but will still do a surprising amount of work.
I would go for it, you will never regret the quality time spent with your son, and the pleasure of owning a very unique crawler.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Dad"s 440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dad"s 440 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks all for the insight and wisdom. I believe I will get the crawler to my place, then give her a good inspection. This may have to wait till the field drys out a bit. I'm leaning toward rebuild, but want to check out the under carriage, final drive, and steering.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun May 15, 2011 10:13 am

JMHO:
One advantage you have over others is that you are starting with a "free" machine. So your initial expense is already covered.

Take a look at the rebuild posts on this site to get an idea of what may be involved in your project.

Getting it moved to a convenient location and a good power washing will do wonders for your thought process. Who knows, it may roll on its tracks as is, and that means a lot.

What I like about my small machine is that I can do most of the lifting alone and safely so I don't need an army of help to do things like take off tracks or remove the nose or engine, etc, and I can do a little at a time as money, interest, and energy are available.

I also find that many of the parts can be found and that they can be reasonably priced so the total cost is manageable (for me). The amount to spend is up to you. You can get it running so that it moves on its own with the blade working for nostalgic reasons; make it a working, but somewhat worn machine ( like mine); or go all the way for a full restoration.
There are examples of all of these on the site.
I'd recommend getting a service manual and reading it through so that you know more about how your machine works before you dig into unfamiliar areas or make costly or time consuming mistakes (like pouring oil into the steering clutch housing).

Good luck with your family project. I'll enjoy seeing your progress. Paul
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Fri May 20, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Dad"s 440
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Dad"s 440 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Got the serial #, 445306. Guess that makes it a 1959. I talked to my Dad about it more today. He has a manual, somewhere.....:wink:

The engine was rebuilt in 1979. I remember grinding the valves in my college automotive class. My Dad said he had the trans rebuilt at the same time. Why he didn't fix the steering clutches at that time, I don't know. This thing had only one steering clutch operational the entire time my Dad had it! I remember what a pain it was to build our motocross tracks through the woods when you had to back up to turn right.

Let the good times roll!

ejb17
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ejb17 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 am

I have a rebuilt engine here on a motor stand ready to go but I am in Buffalo NY. Freight would probably make this not work.
430C,62 Blade
1947 Lindeman w/Tool Carrier & Blade
1964 1010C w/ 612 Dozer