2010 vs 1010 diesel engine

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I was reasonably sure of that. The other consideration in addition to power is the torque difference. I have driven both, and no comparison between 1010 and 2010 as far as torque. IF, and I say IF you were to do this, I would back the fuel off on the 2010 injector pump to bring the power level down.
The long and short of it is there is no cheap fix to either engine, so fix the one it should have, and keep the crawler original.
Lavoy

mnwoody
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by mnwoody » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm

I recently rebuilt or should I say bearinged, honed and reringed a 2010c diesel, like most others I wanted new pistons and sleeves. I could not find the parts (deck sleeve or pistons) to do the major overhaul. So my question if a 1010 deck sleeve can be bored out to accept a used 2010 piston so at least the cylinder bore would be true and round to keep the rings sealed properly. I was not thinking about a big bore set up for a 1010, I was thinking of "new cylinder" for the 2010. I do think the blocks have the same casting numbers but possibly the machining is different in the o-ring area. I know very little about machine shop capabilities and I am sure shops are all a little different.

bingles
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bingles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:10 pm

mnwoody wrote:I recently rebuilt or should I say bearinged, honed and reringed a 2010c diesel, like most others I wanted new pistons and sleeves. I could not find the parts (deck sleeve or pistons) to do the major overhaul. So my question if a 1010 deck sleeve can be bored out to accept a used 2010 piston so at least the cylinder bore would be true and round to keep the rings sealed properly. I was not thinking about a big bore set up for a 1010, I was thinking of "new cylinder" for the 2010. I do think the blocks have the same casting numbers but possibly the machining is different in the o-ring area. I know very little about machine shop capabilities and I am sure shops are all a little different.
Ya your right they have same casting number but are machined different at the o-ring area.
I am keeping my stuff orginal, to much work, but I do think a "good" machine shop could modify the block.
b
JD1010C My first John Deere

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 am

Many years ago, I had a long time Deere mechanic that got to be a friend over the years tell me about something like this. They were getting so many complaints about the lack of power and torque in the new 1010 gas crawlers that Deere had them pull the engine apart. They would then bore the bottom of the block out and install a 2010 gas deck and pistons. They left all the other parts 1010, so not a huge power increase, but the increased bore gave them more torque, and a little more power. He said that it really made a crawler after that.
I have always thought I would like to do this to a gasser some time and see how it works.
Lavoy