engine wont turn over completely

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

engine wont turn over completely

Post by frozen dozer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:08 am

hello all. i just purchased a john deere 440 diesel from my freinds estate. I was told that it ran about four years ago and where it sits now is were it was sut off. The exhaust was left open and i thought that the engine might be weather siezed. I removed the rocker cover and pushed open the exhaust valves and put diesel fuel in the cylinder. I pulled off the raditor and put a socket on the bolt on the crank shaft and gave it a tug. diesel fuel came out of the exhaust valve and then the motor stopped turning. I get about a 1/4 turn each way and then it feels like i come up aainst something solid. like iam hitting a gear or something. On the panel in front of the seat there is a label refering to an engine clutch, but i cant find this magic lever or pedal. Could this be my problem of the motornot turning a complete reveloution?

The movement that i am able to get from the crankshaft leads me to believe that the pistons are not siezed in the cylinder as the movement is smooth.

Can any one tell me about this engine clutch?, its function, the location of the lever or pedal? or is it electrical solinoid or something?

and help would be greatly appreciated

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:15 pm

If you have a 440ICD there should be two pedals, one on each side of the console. The one on the right side is the brake pedal and the one on the left side is the clutch pedal. The two levers in the middle operate individual steering clutches and each side brakes separately. If your machine is equipped with a reverser there should be a lever coming out of the left side of the console about half way between the clutch pedal and the top of the console. Hope this helps.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:11 pm

i bought a manual for this machine and dont see if there is anything that would lock pout the motor. can someone tell me the starting process for this machine. like i say the engine wont go through an entire reveloution. I have people tell me that maybe the sleaves inside are moving. could this be posible? some sugested that maybe the clutch is frozen and that iam engaging the transmission, how ever the transmission is in nuetral.

What does the reverser do?
should i pull the engine to get at the transmission?

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:18 pm

I don't know where you poured the fuel into the cyclinders but make sure it has a place to come out as you turn the engine over you may be compressing way to much fuel which would keep it from turning over.

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:10 pm

yup, i got the exhaust valves puched open to the point that the fuel can escap. like i say the feeling is like i hit something solid and i makes a difent clunk of metal coming up against metal, it does not feel like i am squezzing something. Boy i hope i dont have to pull the motor out, maybe the clutch? i talked to an old timer today and he was surprised by my descrioption thinks maybe the clutch is the problem but thinks that since the transmission is in nutural it shouldn't be a problem. the engine should turn over the full 360.

any other ideas that i should look at?

ok farms
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ok farms » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:50 pm

i had about the samething happen and it was my blower thank to the help of everyone else i found it you might want to take a look at that, good luck.

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:04 pm

the machine ran and then was parked for sevderal years could the blower sieze up from weather? . i will remove the blower and see if that makes a difference will let you all know what happend.

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

yup turn out to be a broken blower. after removing the blower the engine turned over on the starter.
aer or are the hard to rebuild. seems that one of the rotors has gotten a peice of it broken off.

is it best to get a rebuilt blower or should i rebuild it?

jdman
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jdman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17 am

I'll Check Tonight , I Have A Parts Blower In The Shop, I'll See What I Robbed From It........ Let Me Know What Parts You Need.....

Jeff

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by frozen dozer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:39 pm

thanks jeff, i willo take the beast apart tonight and let you know. if you drop me yuor email adress i can send photos. my email is fvullings@hotmail.com.

frozen dozer
40C crawler
40C crawler

broken blower

Post by frozen dozer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:55 pm

the limit to the damage is a broken rotor on my supercharger. iI hava an additional question. the casing has a crank case oil on the insode. is there a problem that i should look for or is this a common occurance?

I would not say there is a lot of it just that it is in there. is this a common thing for a two stroke motor?, would the crank case pressure blow oil into the blower?

thanks all[[/img]

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 am

As long as you have it apart, take the blower to a local Detroit shop and make sure it has the updated blower seals in it. If a blower seal lets go and draws oil in the blower, the engine will run wild, and there is no way to kill a 2-53 other than to stick your hand over the air cleaner, and that would be a hell of a hicky.
Lavoy