in need of a wrist pin and oversize rings for a 1010 gas

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
willnegus
MC crawler
MC crawler

in need of a wrist pin and oversize rings for a 1010 gas

Post by willnegus » Sat May 05, 2012 1:08 pm

how does the wrist pin come out of a 1957 1010 gas jd, does ot have circlips, and i want to throw a set of rings in it while i have it apart, can i get oversize or should i throw stock ones back in, is it even possible to get a head gasket for this model and how much for all these parts. does anyone have a torque specs for this engine

LarryD
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by LarryD » Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 am

I had a time finding an odd oversized rings for my 420. Finally called Hastings piston ring co. and they took care of me. Take a look at their website......they seem to have just about anything you want. That is actually how I came to buy my crawler because the last owner couldn't locate .020" oversized rings for it. As for the other questions you will have to talk to some of the guys on here that are way more knowledgeable than myself.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am

You can not simply add oversize rings even if they existed. You have to replace the rings with the size of the bore.
No oversize rings or pistons currently available for 1010, only standard.
.020 over rings for 420 should have been been current from Deere.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Re: in need of a wrist pin and oversize rings for a 1010 gas

Post by jdemaris » Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm

willnegus wrote:how does the wrist pin come out of a 1957 1010 gas jd, does ot have circlips, and i want to throw a set of rings in it while i have it apart, can i get oversize or should i throw stock ones back in, is it even possible to get a head gasket for this model and how much for all these parts. does anyone have a torque specs for this engine
Most of the 1010 gas engines I've pulled apart had pretty bad ring-groove side wear. Mostly in the top ring groove. Hastings sells repair shims to fix the pistons. I've done several and they've all worked out great. Recutting the ring grooves and installing repair shims does a lot more for a worn engine then some slightly oversize rings.

That being said, a slightly worn bore after getting honed can sometimes benefit from .002" or .003" oversize rings and no oversize boring needed. They used to be common - but I suspect not so easy to find anymore. Last 1010 I did I used .003" oversize rings and it worked out very well. All depends on how worn your cylinder bores are.

Deere used to also sell .020" oversize pistons and rings if you wanted to rebore the sleeve deck. Good luck finding some of those now adays.

Sames goes with main and rod bearings. If the crank isn't badly out-of-round or scored but slightly worn - using undersize bearings does a great job - on the mains and the rods. Deere used to sell them in .002" and .003" and you don't have to remove the crank and regrind. But you DO have to check fit carefully. I just fixed a Ferguson TO-35 (Continental gas engine) with .003" under bearings. Last 1010 gasser I had apart had already had a .010" under crank in it that was worn but smooth. I found some .012" under bearings and they did a great job on it. Brought the hot oil pressure right back up where it belonged.

New piston pins for the 1010 gas engine are still available new from many places. Deere # T13053T.

The Deere .020" oversize pistons were part # T15912T. I don't think they've been available for a long time from Deere.

The .020" oversize rings are Deere # AT14701T. They are still available but won't do you any good unless you've already got oversize pistons.

jdemaris

Slightly oversize rings in standard bore

Post by jdemaris » Wed May 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Lavoy wrote:You can not simply add oversize rings even if they existed. You have to replace the rings with the size of the bore.
No oversize rings or pistons currently available for 1010, only standard.
.020 over rings for 420 should have been been current from Deere.
Lavoy
You can use .002" or .003" oversize in a standard bore IF you can find them and IF the bore is worn enough but not tapered badly. Done it many times. You just have to check the end-gap carefully.