John deere engine propeller shaft

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

John deere engine propeller shaft

Post by fictional31m » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:45 am

I have a john deere mc crawler and removed engine to readjust clutch and found that the propeller shaft seams to have a large amount of turning play when it couples up to the transmission input.
Looking on the manual it shows a pin in the coupler is this pin the only thing that keeps this shaft from spinning?
I'm thinking its possible the wrong propeller shaft as I can spin the shaft and I get maybe about less than a half inch or a half inch of turning play I would think that this would have a better fit being its the link to the engine and transmission..

doc40c
420 crawler
420 crawler

mc drive shaft

Post by doc40c » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:42 pm

hi fictional! If I remember correctly, on my mt tractor that shaft has a spline in the coupler and the pin just prevents it from decoupling when you split the tractor at the bellhousing. The splines were worn in mine so I replaced the shaft. Since your almost there, you may want to remove the center tube and check that coupler out. Good luck on your project! Randy from Michigan

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

removed torque tube

Post by fictional31m » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

so i got it apart and found the transmissioninput shaft and the propeller shaft splines worn so that will need fixed I really dislike a lot of play in certain things.
I have been reading a bit on the M clutch and found there was some flaws with the design and some fabrication is needed to make things work better one that I know of is to strengthen the yoke with some bar stock and other I have found is to fabricate the pushrod with a turn buckle has anyone heard of doing this?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Turnbuckle in the pushrod is relatively useless, there is no access to the rod to adjust it. The factory adjuster works fine, only problem I have had is one disconnected because the little snap ring wore out.
Lavoy

fictional31m
420 crawler
420 crawler

removed torque tube

Post by fictional31m » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is normal for an M but i had a lot of pedal travel before any resistance was felt I thought a turn buckle would allow me to take some of the pedal travel out also the pressure plate and clutch is new the yoke was already strengthened with bar stock bearing looks fine I'm assuming that the person who replaced the clutch before didn't use the special tool that I will soon be purchasing from this site :) would the proper adjustment of the pressure plate take the slack out of the pedal?
before i would have to push to the max to get clutch to disengage to give you an idea.