Question About Needle Bearing Replacement on Rear of HLR

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Question About Needle Bearing Replacement on Rear of HLR

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:23 am

Good morning-

I am in the process of replacing the rear HLR cover on my 2010 loader- I have the cover without the PTO but with the adapter for the rear mounted Cessna pump and pump disconnect lever.

There is a needle bearing assembly (Torrington BH-2212) in the rear HLR case that I believe supports the shaft that utlimately drives the Cessna pump (forward of the pump disconnect gears in the cover asembly). The needle bearing appears to have an intergal race.

It appears that you simply pull out the old bearing assembly and then press in the new one- I looked at the service manual but didn't see this and not clear if it is discussed under the HLR or the cover assembly. I have already purchase the new needle bearing assembly. However I wanted to see if anyone has done this and has any hints before I try to pull the old one- I don't want to damage something not easily replaced.

Thanks for any input in advance.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:35 am

I thought I would provide a follow up in case others run into this problem.

I purchased the new bearing from Deere for less than $20 so no problem with availability. The issue was getting the old bearing out. The needle bearing is a very tight press fit into the case, and most standard automotive pullers, including auto pilot bearing pullers, will not work due to the blind hole and the larger inner diamter of the needle bearing.

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing a pilot bearing puller similar to the OTC 7319 below for just over $100:

http://www.otctools.com/products/pilot_ ... uller_7319

This model has adjustable jaws inward and outward and uses the u-shaped frame to exert pressure on the case. This puller took some effort but was able to remove the needle bearing.

There is also a slide hammer model, but I am not sure it would have worked as well. I am not sure enough force could have been applied by the slide hammer, and there is not enough room for the slide hammer extension with the Cessna pump hanging just in front of the bearing. As it was, I had to have my brother hold the Cessna pump out slightly to use the puller I bought. I will post photos after I download.

I now need to install the bearing- most standard bearing driver installation tools for autos are not large enough. Anyone have any ideas on this?
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

doc40c
420 crawler
420 crawler

bearing seating tool

Post by doc40c » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Tigerhaze! I have the luxury of a lathe so I can make my own drivers if I need an oddball size. You can use heavy-wall pipe with the proper Od. if you can find it, or you can use a 3/4 drive socket of the proper od. ( although I usually don't like to beat on my sockets if I can help it!) Good luck on your project! Randy from Michigan