440ICD Final Drive problems

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ziegler
MC crawler
MC crawler

440ICD Final Drive problems

Post by ziegler » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Looking at buying a 440ICD with 6 way blade but only one track moves. The owner said he was pulling logs and one track stop working. He thinks the clutch pack is fine and it is the final drive. Is there an know problems that would cause this? I think I can get a complete final drive ship to me for around $1000+-. Would $2500 be a good price for this machine?

440 iron popper
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Ziegler,

I would say that when a final drive breaks, it will be obvious. I experienced that lately. Bearing(s) will come apart and rollers will jam between pinion and bull gear. The crawler steers on one side without warnings and BAD things happen. Be shure the side in problem will jam not roll freely!!!

It could be an adjustment issue hopefully... Lever of the not moving track having no play wich means your clutch pack is released. Can be fixed by giving some free play as per the manual.

It could be that the clutch pack is too worn out or a broken pressure plate and it slips. Maybe oil on the discs and it slips...

or

You may have a stipped/broken steering drive shaft or the middle of the differentiel could be stripped like this:

In this case, be shure you can get the parts needed with Lavoy. If the differential is worn like this (like mine), you are buying a project. A key part like the differentiel hub, that worn out, would tell me that the rest of the crawler will require a lot of work.

I would offer scrap metal price to the gentleman.
440IC 1958 #443712, 602 blade, Gearmatic winch project in the back
440IC, serial tag gone, Blade with tilt
-------------------------------------------------------

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 am

It more then likely is the clutch pack unless you see something busted or the sprocket is real loose (pry with a spud bar) you didn't say if it was a power 6 way or manual power 6 ways can bring $2500 by themselfs if there in really good shape nor did you say if the undercarraige is in good shape how the engine runs the looks of it. There is a lot to consider. It may be worth a thousand or it may be worth $3000. I know that doesn't help much.