GM 2-53 engine

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm

I had a 2-53 that someone put in a 1010 that was completely different than the ones in the 440 or 435 . It had a starter down on the bellhousing and came out towards the radiator and had a shut off butterfly on the right side along with a much deeper oil pan but other than that was alot like the others.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:43 am

Sorry if this sounds like a naive question (as it is), but I am relatively new to diesels. Having one runaway to the point of locking up or explosion seems like a pretty scary deal.

Is this phenomena limited to these Detroit diesels or is that something that can happen on any diesel? Is it strictly from blower seal failure or could excessively worn valves or rings lead to it also? I figure that it would take a lot of crankcase oil to keep one running, but I guess I don't really know. Still a fascinating but stressful topic. :shock:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 pm

The 2-53 in a Deere uses a rear engine cover that is specific to Deere. They also use a different manifold, and probably a few other parts that are specific to the Deere application in the 435 and 440. Detroit supplied engines to goodness knows how many manufacturers, and so there are probably quite a few variations on the 2-53 based on what a given manufacturer specified.

As to running away, that is a function of a blower seal letting go, and then the oil is forced into the engine unrestricted. I have never witnessed this phenomenon, but it must be a hell of a ride. I have heard of the same type of thing happening when a piece of equipment strikes a gas line and the engine draws in the vapor.
Lavoy

bitcoder
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by bitcoder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Started up the little 2 cyl diesel in my 440IC one fine weekend morning a few years ago and puttered around the barn awhile, then decided to park it and get a coffee refill. Pulled the shutoff knob, instead of shutting off, the little Jimmy started steadily revving up, when it got to a near scream, I finally figured out I had a runaway problem and managed to stuff some oily rags into the air intake which slowly killed the engine. Haven't had the urge to start it since then, will definitely check out and clean vent tube and air box and replace shutoff valve as mentioned here, thanks all for the advice.

Lavoy this is the one with the 9A winch with chewed up internals, hope to get you the parts list next month.

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

the days of big kahuna's

Post by pop pop » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:53 am

we also had some jimmy's ,, one of them(12v71) we had to reach down on the pump and pull/hold a lever till dead,,,, the other was in an international truck and had its own pull lever... also , the 12v had safety gauges that would trip a solenoid on the pump in case of low pressure, or high temp. , there was also a governer-controlled butterfly in the BIG intake..the monster scarred almost everyone on startup cause it would rev till second governor on the tailshaft was at preset rpm... when the engine was warm , startup zero to 1800-2100 only took 3-4 seconds... and then there was the cold starts,,,, always held my breath,