MC Transmission Teardown

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
OldCats
MC crawler
MC crawler

MC Transmission Teardown

Post by OldCats » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 pm

I just bought a MC crawler (1st JD that I own) that had a clunk in the tranny. The previous owner thought it was a bearing, as he rebuilt the finals and then found half of a roller in the bottom of the tranny. I found the problem last night. It looks like the larger gear on the bottom left had picked up a couple of pieces of something and impacted them into the gear. I still cannot find the bad bearing, so... To take out the bottom shaft it looks like I need to remove the middle shaft, but this looks like I need to pull a final drive, and the ring gear?? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Jeremy

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

MC trans

Post by JimAnderson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:07 am

It is worse than just pulling a final.To repair the transmission internals you will have to remove the trans case and do a complete disassembly.
Get a service and parts manual for the machine.Looking at both will
answer many questions you will have about what will need to be done.
Luck,JimAnderson

OldCats
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by OldCats » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks Jim. That is what I was afraid of. I got the service manual tonight and it looks like these were put together as they go without much thought of repair. Oh well. I will let you know what I find.

mapaduke@yahoo.com
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mapaduke@yahoo.com » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:49 pm

The input shaft has a cluster gear that rides on needle bearings and when they fail they will fall out and damage the other gears ,with the shift leaver cover off you can grab the cluster gear and if you have any up and down motion than that would be your problem.
And yes transmission will have to be removed for the repair.
Ron
nothing crawles like a deere

OldCats
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by OldCats » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks for the tip. I found the problem yesterday. The right side ring gear bearing was the culprit. It was missing about half the rollers. I got it all apart and it was hitting with enough force that it actually imprinted the part number and name of the bearing race into the quill!