440 ICD possible fuel issue?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 ICD possible fuel issue?

Post by GaCatskinner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm

I had my injectors rebuilt and put them in. The dozer started a ran good. It had been hard to start previously so the next morning I tried it and it was hard to start the first time. Next day hard to start and only ran for a few seconds and quit. It was acting like it was getting air into the fuel system. I replaced all the fuel lines and the filter. I removed the pump and re sealed all the fittings. I left the outlet line off the pump and turned it over. I was getting plenty of fuel but it looked like lots of air bubbles too. I re attached the line and tried to start and it tried to start but wouldn't. Do I need to rebuild the pump? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was over looking before I bought the rebuild kit.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:51 pm

I think the bubbles are the issue, the problem is finding the source.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm

I read somewhere on the forum that the fuel pump had a seal that was bad to go out and suck air which is why I was wondering about rebuilding it. The pump isn't leaking fuel though. None of the other fittings are leaking either. I know it doesn't have to leak to suck air though. Anyone got any idea about how to check for which fitting\seal\connection may be the problem? I should also note that the fuel filter assembly is not the original. The line goes from the tank to the filter then to the pump and then the engine.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 am

Yes the pump will suck air at least on a truck with a low tank... I have had this happen.... the 53 series pump is very easy to reseal
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:04 am

Possibly too much restriction in the filter?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:30 pm

I replaced the filter after it started acting up but it didn't help. I seem to be getting plenty of fuel. My rebuild kit should be in tomorrow so I'll report back with the result.

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 am

I rebuilt the pump yesterday. It fired up and ran for a minute then I shut it down. I waited a few and started it again but it wouldn't so I bled everything and it started. I cranked it a few minutes ago after setting all night and it started no problem. SUCCESS!!

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Well after setting a couple of days I had to bleed the fuel system again. I can't for the life of me figure out where it is sucking air at. Any body got an idea?

Paul Harney
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Paul Harney » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm new to this forum but not detroit diesels. It has to be on the suction side before the pump. Check all of your fuel lines from the tank to the filter, the filter housing it's self, and the filter to the pump. If you have any felx or rubber lines, replace them. Any copper or steel flare fit lines, check for any signs of abrasion on them, all of the bends for cracks and check all flare to fitting connections for cracks. Meaning take every connection loose and take a really close look at the flare area and fitting. They can crack and then suck air. you said you replaced all the lines and rebuilt the pump. That's fursterating I'm sure. Did you replace or remove, inspect and re pipe dope all threaded fittings? Only other thing I can think of is the fuel filter housing it's self. But you'd probably see some fuel on the outside of the filter housing when it sits for awhile.
440 ICD with 831 loader SN 461416

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:45 am

I did check and re dope all threaded fittings. The fuel filter housing is not factory. It's a spin on and I'm thinking that may be my problem. I did crank it yesterday after setting overnight with no problem. I may let it set a few days and see what happens.