1010 Engine problem

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Well guys, I honestly am not 100% sure if it was dirt or carbon or what it was.
I suspected dirt because I installed the intake elbow between the air cleaner and intake manifold. Not fully thinking, I didn't check to see if it was clean, probably because typically the things I work on don't sit for long intervals during reassembly. I think that may have been where the dirt came from. However, I never saw anything blow out the exhaust.
What we did tonight was successful. We put small amounts of diesel fuel on top the intake valves when they were closed. I then would tap the valves with a hammer so as to "snap" the valves closed quickly. After doing this a half dozen times on each intake valve the old girl fired up. It's back to running like normal now, so Lavoy may have a good point about the carbon.
He may be right because this all happened after using the glow plugs for the first time after the rebuild.
It's hard to tell at this point. I really can't stand working in the conditions we are in (in a dirty barn), but there's no other options.
On to the next issue. Got the reverser hooked back up and leak fixed (initial reason for the tear down a few years ago). For some reason with the tractor running and clutch pushed in, I can't move the reverser lever. If the tractor isn't running the lever moves between forward and reverse freely.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:30 am

If it weren't for BAD LUCK.......
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 am

Not sure why the tractor running would influence the reverser lever. Obviously it is a function of there being pressure, but the reverser lever only moves a rotary valve, so pressure should not matter.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com