40C popping out of gear

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:50 am

I usually anti-seize the splines before I put it all back together.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

krusty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by krusty » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:48 am

Took it all apart again. Raised the fingers are beyond the gauge. Seems to be better now but not perfect. If I have the ambition I will try to raise them another 1/8" just to see.

I try to limit my annual spend on this 'hobby' otherwise I would just go get a new clutch disc and pressure plate.

Just to clarify by the service bulletin the tab I should be using is the lowest one?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:18 pm

krusty wrote: Has to adjust the clutch fingers as they were high, but I would have expected low.

Clutch disc is in good shape. The plates has a slight oxidation to them in the pattern of the clutch disk for sitting so long I guess so I removed the oxide layer on the plate. That is the only thing I could see making it stick

Rust on anything in the clutch will make it drag.... OIL is even worse .....As for the fingers being higher that is to be expected as when the clutch disc wears the fingers get higher (not lower) and you lose free play /pedal The higher you make the fingers will get you more clearance on the disc BUT will limit your adjustment abilities later as you get wear... Also the higher the fingers the less pressure for apply from the springs .... I don't want to start an argument but if you don't have the clips still on the adjuster end of the fingers then you wont get any lift of the plate itself so it will try to drag
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

krusty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by krusty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Thx for all of the tidbits everyone. It is all back together and steering nicely now. One brake band can use a bit more tweaking but for now will suffice.

I took the carb to a fellow with an ultrasonic cleaner last nite and put it back together this am and is runs nice too. an ultrasonic cleaner is on my list of valuable shop things :)

Will get a new clutch disk this fall when he winter comes and I am hibernating.

Did about 30 mins of dozing with it this eve and while it does not move fast at all it makes easy work of leveling out some piles. I hope to get several triaxles in this week of fill to spread around. Local road construction.