JD 440I

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ryandamo
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440I

Post by ryandamo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Hey everyone,
i have what i believe is a john deere 440I. The serial number tells me its a 1960 model. Im having some difficulty with the transmission on it and i was hoping it would be similar to the crawlers.

It has a 5 speed with reverser. the only way to get it to move is by pushing the reverser lever. It moves for a few seconds but after that it will not move at all until it cools down. Ive read that the reversers can have problems and i know that that isnt the proper way of driving it. i took both adjustment hole plugs out and tryed tightening the reverser clutches and it didnt seem to help.

What are my options in terms of fixing or removing the reverser and making it direct drive. Its has the 2-53 detroit in it that runs strong as well as strong operating hydralic backhoe and front loader.

here are a few pictures so you can see what model i have

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... G_0872.jpg

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... G_0874.jpg

I brought it home end of the summer, it made it on the trailer ok but it barely wanted to move coming off. I changed the transmission fluid and made the adjustments to the reverser clutches as well as the foot clutch to have the appropriate travel as stated in a manual i bought.

What is the next step?

Thanks for looking,
Ryan

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 am

Hi,

The reverser only works in forward? Or, only in reverse? When it does work, I mean?

Or does it work in both forward and reverse before it quits?

The reason I ask is to try and isolate it down to which of the three clutches is in trouble.

The 440 crawlers and wheel tractors are the same until you get to the differential and final drives. Then they get really different.

That style direction reverser has two clutch packs. One for forward and one for reverse. Don't run it in reverse with the gear transmission in reverse. That will eat the reverse clutch pack in a hurry.

Always come to a full stop before working the reverser lever. Fail to do that one time will kill it. Which is usually how they go bad. The only way to fix it is pulling the entire reverser out onto the bench.

There is a solid shaft you can put in place of reverser unit, but you still have to split the tractor to do it.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

ryandamo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryandamo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 am

it only seems to work by pushing the lever forward,it moves even when the clutch pedal is pushed in. unfortunetly I think it is done for, are parts for these are still avialable? i dont really see much use for the reverser, where can i get the shaft to replace it with?

I have to split the tractor anyway to repair an oil leak on the motor so i might as well do it all.

ryandamo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryandamo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Hey guys, its been a while, but im getting ready to split my tractor in the next couple weeks after putting it off for this long

Currently, the only way to move my tractor is by moving the reverser lever either forward or reverse. It moves very slow for 30 seconds then stops.
Pushing the clutch pedal when it is moving does not stop the tractor, which leads me to believe that the main clutch is frozen.

Can i get any parts for this thinge before i take it all apart or am I wasting my time? Im assuming i will need reverser clutch packs as well as the main clutch to be replaced, along with brake parts.

Here is a picture of the tractor
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... G_2013.jpg

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:52 pm

The reverser lever needs to "snap" over center. If it is not, then you are not fully engaging the reverser. Look at the adjustment procedure in the manual, it will make more sense.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ryandamo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryandamo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 pm

the tractor has to be split no matter what, the motor has a major oil leak out of front cover as well as tranny leak, are parts still available?

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 am

Yes most all gaskets/seals are available from Lavoy or Deere. Most of the actual mechanical parts are only available used from a parts tractor. Something Lavoy can also help with.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

ryandamo
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ryandamo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:27 pm

thanks thats good to know, i will start tearing into this thing soon, will keep posted