420 4spd shift shaft disassembly

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

420 4spd shift shaft disassembly

Post by Jimmy in NC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 am

While I have the top of the motor open I figured I might as well fix the shifter up a little bit on the old girl. Popped the top off and quickly removed the shifter lever. I would like to get the shift forks out and look at the tops of them and repair as necessary. The question comes as to the squencing of removal of the taper pins.

Also how do you access the first pin? Do you access it through the shift lever hole (from the top)??

The best I figure is you pull drive the fist pin out on the 2nd and reverse shaft from the bottom, then the other pin out from the top. It seems from there you can access the others from the shaft side of the cover. Clear as mud??

Just trying to make those gears a little easier to find...

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:54 am

Normally there is not much that can be done to them. As long as the detent balls are working, and everything looks good, I would probably leave unless you are just having fun.
Lavoy

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I promised pictures and here they are:

I think this may be some of the problem...

And this pin has been bradded over all it would brad....

And the worn slot.. don't worry.. I'm gonna fix it up!

Shift forks look in fair shape.. I'll be staying away from going any farther..

And one more of the shift forks.

Yes this transmission had serious moisture in it at some point.. but hey.. I think most of them have too!

New pin, bearing, and a pair of snap rings orderd today at mother Deere. A little time in the press and some of my favorite 'red wrench' I'll have the shifter straight and we'll see how it does then.

Jimmy in NC

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 pm

Hey Jimmy,
I fought a similar problem with my 420 several years ago. It was such that there was a real problem getting some of the gears to work well. 1st groaned a lot and 2nd growled loudly 3rd worked well just to high to do much work and 4th and off to the races. mine must be an earlier model as my shift tower actually has the patern built in and you shift in slots. My shift forks were all good like yours and when I bought the machine there was a 5 gallon bucket over it. the shifter boot was gone and yes there was much water in the tranny at one time. the previous owner had drained it and filled with good dope but the owner before that was the state of Alabama and I don't think their maintenence was so good. I didn't know about this site then and it may not have been around then. I couldn't fine any gears or shafts even from mother deere and had to have the shafts chromed out and ground down to original and then take the gears and sleeve them and bore out to original. Lots of fun. Makes you wonder if you will be able to remember how to put back together when all the parts are back. Also kind of expensive. By the way races from large bearings from over the road tractor rearends make great material to use for the sleeves. Lots of luck.

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:58 am

Bill-

This transmission is actually pretty good down inside.. the struggles are just with how sloppy the shifter lever is in the transmission. I've got a new bearing on the way and such.. and I'm sure straightening the lever out to where it should be will help more than anything.

Glad you were able to save your transmission..if these old tractors could talk...

Jimmy in NC

Nickh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 420 4spd shift shaft disassembly

Post by Nickh » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Mr lavoy did not give away the secrets about removing the groove pins from the shafts in order to change bent forks and repair poppet springs but implied it was a pain . Any hints from you masters out there ?
Thanks
Nickh

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

The ball on the end of the shifter gets worn and causes problems like getting stuck in gear. Unless you are really trying to keep it original you can replace the transmission cover and shifter from a later model with caged shifter and solve the problem. May have to bend it a little for a crawler to clear the steering handles.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Never torn one down that far, sorry.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com