440 ic reverser is installed

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tod
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 ic reverser is installed

Post by tod » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 am

first off. thanks lavoy .the reverser is in had a tough time with the rear seal i damaged it while putting the unit back in and had to drive 60 miles to get another one ,got 2 just in case.anyways; i was adgusting the clutches on the reverserand wore out the tip of my middle finger and think the rear clutch pack is still a little loose ,when i go itno reverse tor reverser makes a winding noise that of a car going into reverse its somewhat louder than that though,maybe its the adjustment?i need to find out what to use as a tool for tensioning the pressure ?they show a tensioner in the maintenence manual i got with the crawler ,but maybe i can use a fish scale?i hope that i dont damage the reverser ,im not going to use it unitl i get a little advise.Tod
jd 440 ic crawler i need parts when i break it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Many of the reversers will have a howl to them, just like backing up a manual transmission car. Make sure you have the reverser full to the recommended level with oil.
Fish scale is fine, or just guess. If you go to far, you will not be able to adjust it at all.
Been there, done that on the seal.
Lavoy

tod
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by tod » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:06 am

Lavoy wrote:Many of the reversers will have a howl to them, just like backing up a manual transmission car. Make sure you have the reverser full to the recommended level with oil.
Fish scale is fine, or just guess. If you go to far, you will not be able to adjust it at all.
Been there, done that on the seal.
Lavoy
ive already adjusted to far and had to bring it back i did that so i can get the feel of things in there the frant clutch was way tight when i got it in ,so i backed it off a bit and then brought it up to par i used it again lastnight in third gear and tached it up a bit and the howling sound seemed to be more livable, i just do not want to damage the unit ,whwn i adjusted the rear clutch some fluid came out of the inspection cap ,cause i put a little extra iv when i first got it in the crawler i will check the fluid level again .i think i can go one more knotch on the back clutch pack though.Tod
jd 440 ic crawler i need parts when i break it.