Guide on the track frame

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Guide on the track frame

Post by Swanybawanie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:40 pm

Was inspecting my 440 ic Dozer the other day and noticed a severe wear on the track frame under the guide just below the front track idler one both sides, it doesn’t look pretty, the top Along the frame is fine but under neath has a good wear, the past owners wasn’t paying attention to this obviously, what to do?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guide on the track frame

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:22 pm

That is normal wear, it happens. You can weld it up and grind it down, or cut out and replace. If you cut and replace, it has to be a better quality steel, not just A36. Grade 80 would be the best if you can find someone that will cut you a couple pieces.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 am

How thick are the shims? I noticed it says .010 and my service book says 12 shims are needed, where do they go? Are they stacked up between the two idler brackets? Also how much play should they have?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:08 am

Did you get the SM2023 manual you posted you were getting? The process for checking and adjusting the idler brackets should be in it. Yes, the shims go between the idler brackets and the guides to control the amount of clearance on the frame flanges. I don't know if the 440 manuals give an actual clearance to set. The 420/430 manual says remove excess clearance. The 450B reads similar, saying the idler must slide without binding. Basically the idler needs to slide freely the length of its travel without binding or having a lot of vertical (or horizontal) clearance. The key to how much clearance you can eliminate is the frame rail flanges must be true in thickness and parallel. The idler and guide brackets must be true as well. Adjust with shims as needed to find the sweet spot for vertical clearance. The guide brackets may need weld build-up and dressing to eliminate excess horizontal clearance.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes sir, I purchased the SM 2023 immediately after I got humiliated by ya all for buying the Knock off el cheapo toilet paper,, Lol!
Anyways the SM 2023 doesn’t go to great detail concerning the tolerance for the bracket guide, it pretty much says “if clearance appears excessive remove shims, after shims have been removed tighten the cap screws.” I think the book is sayin that the idler bracket should not have a lot of slop and play, just enough room so it can move freely?
Now shouldn’t there be grease in there to eliminate excessive wear? I would think there should be some kind of Roller bearing or something?
Last edited by Swanybawanie on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:23 pm

Yes, if it will slide freely, that's all you need.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com