tips on changing reverser fluid & filter on 1010c diesel

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
newwood
420 crawler
420 crawler

tips on changing reverser fluid & filter on 1010c diesel

Post by newwood » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:16 am

My reverser is working great so I'm a little reluctant to even mess with it, but it has been over 30 years since the reverser fluid was changed and I only recently discovered that there's also a filter involved. I looked through the archives but didn't find any posts -- are there any pitfalls to changing the fluid and filter on this thing (other than pouring 3 gallons of trans/hyd fluid into a very small hole and figuring out where exactly that filter actually is located)? I'm trying to follow the old dictum: first, do no harm (which I frequently seem to violate when working on this machine).
Newwood
1010C diesel
Chapel Hill NC and Merrill WI

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: tips on changing reverser fluid & filter on 1010c diesel

Post by Hurlbutt » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:27 pm

Many years ago I worked with a guy in a manufacturing facility testing lab that would get excited when the oil change for his car was due. He loved doing maintenance! A common phrase he would say in near disgust concerning the way most maintain their stuff: "Oil, isn't that something they put in at the factory?"
In later years I was in the Technical Service Department where service publications originated. Manufacturers invest in testing and development at considerable expense. The specs they provide normally have sound basis.
Oil does wear out and condensation is absorbed impacting lubrication and corrosion control properties.
Best practice would be closely follow what the manual provides if possible.
Bill

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 pm

The most significant harm you can do to these crawlers is ignore required maintenance.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

newwood
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by newwood » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:19 am

Mainly I was wondering whether the recommendations for kerosine/diesel rinse after draining is worthwhile (and if so is this before or after filter replacement) and whether there are any cautions on old filter removal/replacement (other than to make sure to put it back together in the right order and not crush the new filter by overtightening). Despite the long years, the actual hours of use are quite short, but I'm trying to make my way through all the various recommended maintenance. I've just gotten a little guy shy after fuel filter replacement and unexpected challenges with bleeding some troublesome air bubbles. So I've learned to look to the archives first.
Newwood
1010C diesel
Chapel Hill NC and Merrill WI

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 am

IF the fluid appears otherwise decent, I probably wouldn't flush it. IF it has not been changed since new, I would be inclined to use it for a time period and change it again.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com