Pressure plates again

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
kyboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pressure plates again

Post by kyboy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:38 pm

we tore the finals down again to replace the "new" pressure plates.the one that was in it you could squeeze with your fingers.the new one your lucky to depressed it with your foot.---anyway--i put it back together it turns but not real good.i didnt have the gauge to set it with(i know bad me) is there a measurement i can use to go by? the fingers are out about an inch and a half. if i adjust the fingers in,will that put more pressure on the disks or will that be engaging the disks? if the throw out bearing goes out to push the fingers in it takes pressure off the disks right? so what is the diffrence adjusting the fingers in with the adjusting nut?i have 2 days to take it back down and put it together.i dont have time to order the gauge and get it in.suggestions???

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 pm

The lower the fingers are, the more pressure there is against the face of the pressure plate. This is why it is critical to set the fingers with the gauge when reassembling steering clutches.
I do however question if this is the only problem you have. Even a non-adjusted pressure plate will have enough face pressure to pull.
Lavoy