JD 40C Is it Worth The Effort?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
safetyjoe
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 40C Is it Worth The Effort?

Post by safetyjoe » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:19 am

I'm a newbie on the board, but I am familiar with old iron. I picked up a John Deere 40C for scrap price, and I got most of a parts tractor to go with it that is already is in pieces. Neither have run for about five years and they have been sitting outside. We pushed it up the trailer ramps with a Bobcat skidsteer and the tracks were rolling. I haven't started any disassembly yet and after a lot of reading in your archives, I'm not so sure I want to. I have this question for the group and your answers will help me decide what to do.
Since it will roll, it seems to me that the steering clutches must be free and useable? The levers are rusted tight, same with the foot clutch, the PTO lever, and the transmission shift lever. The tracks are fair, the engine is siezed, the undercarriage looks rough, but some of the rollers were turning. I have the parts tractor so I'm debating whether to commit shop space to a project that may be a waste of my time and effort. I kind of look forward to the challenge, but don't want to sink a lot more cash into it than it would be worth. What are your thoughts?
Safety Joe
Sunny South Carolina - Gamecock Country

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi,

It will roll just fine with the clutches froze solid in neutral. They just won't turn separate from each other. They roll even better if the clutches are toast. Then the drag from the ring and pinion gears is gone. Plus, the tracks will then move differently from each other (not being locked together by the output shafts from the ring gear spool).

As far as worth how much effort, that is quite difficult to say. Esp, from a distance....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Every crawler will consume more cash than it is worth. If that is truly your main concern, than I would strongly recommend you not start, you will be disappointed.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi,

This is true. Just read my tag line. I figured that out, on my own, the hard way.....

Redoing one is only really worthwhile if you wish to use it in the end. Possibly for shows, but most folks going to a tractor show will not 'get' crawlers....

Redoing one to resell is probably not worth thinking about.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Reg Taylor
MC crawler
MC crawler

Is it worth it?

Post by Reg Taylor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Safetyjoe
I agree with Lavoy that you will spend more than it will bring if you sell. Having said that I have not regretted my 420C rebuild ( much the same as your 40C ). If you check my show and tell of 20 Feb 2014 you can see what I started with. I spent a lot of years of spare time on this 420. Every part was dismantled and every part brought back to factory specs (replaced or rebuilt ). I have never added up my receipts but it was many thousands of dollars ( didn't add them up, I can look the good wife in the eye and truthfully say I have no idea what I spent on it). Since Jan 2014 I have put on just over 100 hours with no problems. I use it on my acreage to plow snow, some road building and am still clearing beetle kill pine. I like that I can go out at any time and know it will start and run as new, and I have saved a machine that should probably have been scrapped or parted out. For me it was all the challenge. Hope this has helped a bit. Get the manuals and use this website, there is a lot of knowledge here.
1956 JD 420C with Gearmatic model JD40 blade & 8A winch, 1935 Caterpillar 22, 1948 Ford 8N

safetyjoe
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by safetyjoe » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 am

Thanks a lot for the honest feedback! That is interesting about how the clutches may be "toast" and still rolling. I guess curiosity is getting the better of me and I'm going to have to find out.
I'm building a lean-to on the side of the barn so I can move some stuff out and make floor space for a crawler.
Thanks again, and this is a great web site and discussion board!
joe
Safety Joe

dr1zsk1
430 crawler
430 crawler

Crawlers and Boats

Post by dr1zsk1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:50 am

I've had a few crawlers. I've never made any money. I enjoy operating a crawler, I enjoy tinkering on them, and mostly the sound of those two cylinders can't be beat.

Take it logically. You have a parts crawler. Go buy one that's running, driving, and use yours for parts.

If you had experience and knew them you could make a good assessment of the probable costs of repair.

The parts you are talking about needing are the costly ones.

Mike -
If man can break it man can fix it .. it just takes time and money.

safetyjoe
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by safetyjoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 am

Well, I did just that. I went and bought one this weekend that's running and needs some of the parts that I already have. I'll keep the board posted with progress. Thanks for the reply. :wink:
Safety Joe