Rusty and dusty 40-C

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
RustAndDust
MC crawler
MC crawler

Rusty and dusty 40-C

Post by RustAndDust » Sun May 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Hello Everyone.I recently purchased this 1954 John Deere 40-C.It was a barn find.I'm guessing it hadn't been ran in 15 years or more.It had little to no compression.However,after soaking for several weeks,sufficient compression returned.It runs quite well,with no smoke.The main clutch still has life,and it steers great on the right side.The left side is sluggish though.I really like the rustic patina of the machine.The paint and decals appear to be original.I have no intentions of painting it.It came with the original manuals for tractor and blade.

I wasn't really in the market for a crawler when this one popped up.However,it was only 20 minutes away.So i figured i would at least go look at it.If the story is true,the machine has alot of local history.It worked for a logging/lumber company.It arrived at the local rail depot in 1954,and was sold by the hardware store across the street.The sediment bowl was broken during transit.Due to a strike at the supplier's plant,the part was delayed a few months.Not sure if this was a John Deere or Tillotson strike.It originally had a winch on the rear,which is MIA.

An old crawler is like an onion.The more layers you peel back,the more you cry.There are small signs of trouble looming for this one.First,the left stick feels like a wet noodle.I have discovered that the left throwout bearing has a large gap before it contacts the cutch fingers.I adjusted it nearly all the way out,with only a slight improvement.The left brake band looks good.There is a bit of metal powder on the splines of the clutch drive shaft.There is some old silicone residue on the steering clutch housing,so someone went in there years ago.Wish they would have got it right.Second,unusual wear has taken place on the left idler.However,it is perfectly centered in the track.Maybe this was an old problem,but i still feel like the left track frame may be tweaked.Third,there are some frame cracks near the final drive housings.Hopefully a bit of work with a wire welder will fix this.The tracks are nearly to the end of their adjustment.The pins and bushings are sloppy,but the sprockets and rollers look good.

I know this has been a lengthy post.But i'm looking forward to hear what the experts think.Thanks everyone!

Charles

https://plus.google.com/100182961838473 ... 7298/posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_s2xYC ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3KsYdosVa0

country53
440 crawler
440 crawler

Rusty and dusty 40-C

Post by country53 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I got my 420 in 3 pieces, engine final drive and frame and it took me about 3 years and several dollars to fix it. I've never regretted it and love to fool around on it and if I run out of something to do I'll just take something apart to look at to see how its doing. Jump in and get your feet wet and have fun.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Pretty square looking old girl, I think you did well. First order of business is factory parts and service manual, they make life so much easier.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com