many opportunities(needs) "new" 420c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
420C-Mike
420 crawler
420 crawler

many opportunities(needs) "new" 420c

Post by 420C-Mike » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Starting to look at all the 'enjoyable" projects on the 420c not sure where to start but could use some advice on the following. Fortunately engine runs well and everything is functional
1) only 3 of the 8 lower rollers appear Ok . others are bad to shot-- are rebuild kits available for the rollers?
2) Over half of the pad bolts are very loose. Can I just remove (cut off) old bolts and replace?
3) While track tension seems ok, I have 30 links in each belt and assume one was removed. Is this an issue? Can I add a link and get new pins/bushings?

Thanks in advance. More questions to come. This is a keeper - want to ultimately give it to my sons to enjoy for another 50 years.

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

420 c

Post by JimAnderson » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 pm

First the bottom rollers.No rebuild kit as such.Seals alone will be over
$100 dollars for the pair.Roller used are available but can be iffy to obtain better than what you have.Shafts,and bushings for the roller are available from Deere but you need deep pockets.Lubed for life rollers from a JD 350 are a bolt on replacement.Deere has them and Lavoy may still have some.Last I got from Deere were $125.00 ea.
Thirty pads suggest the smaller front idler and the machine should have 31.The machine has been short tracked to get more hours out of worn out pins and bushings.If you get the tracks repinned and bushed you will
need a replacement link for each side.Getting pins and bushing is spotty at best and then you need someone to install them.Lavoy may be able to help you with the parts and work but you will have to get them to him.
If you want the machine to last another fifty years be prepared spend
way more than you ever hope to recover at resale.Thes old girls are fun
to use but can be a huge money pit.Luck,JimAnderson

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 am

the manuals are a great source of reference too.
good luck.
you will be spending several grand before you know it but what the hey, ya cant take it with you... :D
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:39 pm

you will be spending several grand before you know it but what the hey, ya cant take it with you... Very Happy
I've been getting mine in shape for a few years now, and It has paid me back nicely. Of course just about the time I think we are even, my 420 tells me differently. Good luck with your new machine and the decisions you make.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch