Engine Rebuild??? 1010c

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Engine Rebuild??? 1010c

Post by bighamlin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I am restoring a 1010c diesel, early 1961, shifter on dash. I have a well equiped farm shop and have rebuilt/restored just about everything on a JD tractor except spliting one or rebuilding a motor. Question, is this a simple motor rebuild to get my feet wet on? Or should I send it out, and to who. I am worried the local Deere dealer will be expensive and they scratched their heads when I said a 1010 (they don't get stuff that old or small). I have all the manuals, it smokes like it needs the top side redone and growls at low rpm like the main bearings are shot also.

Any advice is welcome - Thanks.

Paul
Central Florida

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:46 pm

If you have any experince at all, and a service manual, you should have no trouble.
Lavoy

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:00 am

Paul,
As long as your shop has enough in the way of tooling to handle any engine rebuild, you should make out ok. You've been around this site long enough to hear some of the "been there, done that" problem solving methods which deal with all sorts of machines. With a site like this to reference, almost anything is possible as long as you have appropriate tooling. There's a million techniques to tackling an engine rebuild. If it's possible, you might want to rebuild it in the machine versus removing the engine. I'm not familiar with the clearances on a 1010 (belly pans, brackets, etc.) but there are guys here that do and they should be able to answer any questions you might encounter. I've worked many machines over the years (sprint cars, midgets, wheeled tractors, jet engines, diesel engines, etc.) and one thing remains the same, they all follow a basic format for tear down and build up. There's probably very little you could encounter with your engine rebuild that someone else on this site hasn't come across before. The corporate knowledge here is awesome. If you get stuck or run into problems, just post it before possibly breaking something. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! If someone can give an alternative method to getting around an obstacle, it could save you from unnecessary repairs down the road. If you decide to do it yourself, you'll definitely have the satisfaction of knowing what went into your engine. Who knows...down the road you could be the guy answering someone's questions on what goes into rebuilding a 1010. :wink: Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:02 am

Thanks for the advice - Im going to tacke it. I always wanted to do one, just didn't want to get in over my head. I will post pictures from time to time.