Track Tensioner Bolts

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Track Tensioner Bolts

Post by ggfossen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:35 pm

A bit ago, there was a discussion about the track tension bolts. I just ran into a wall with one of the bolts on my 420. Some of the threads stripped, and it was generally in bad shape. I just bought a 3 foot run of of threaded rod, in relatively hard alloy, welded on a nut, cut it to length, and proclaimed it to be proper. I think the thread stock was bout 13 bucks. I had a spare nut at home. It isn't plated, but we don't have a big corrosion problem, here, and I will lube it with anti-seize. I think it will work.

In passing, I also built a device with which to capture the spring in the compressed attitude. The clamp fits over the head of the short end of the bolt, and two 3/4" framing stakes hang down the sides with a tooth on each to reach under the compressed spring. I compessed it with a large hydraulic press (home built and JD green), let the teeth catch the spring, and wrapped a rag around it "just in case." It worked well, and took all the tension off the rusted nuts making them much easier to break loose.

The only caveat is that there is a hell of alot of stored energy in the spring. It won't go far, but it could be lethal. Proceed with due caution.

Gary