440 steering clutch info

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jaybird
420 crawler
420 crawler

440 steering clutch info

Post by Jaybird » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:19 pm

OK 440 project coming along. Installed new reverser and assembled front end. Now on to the steering clutch. Right clutch makes a weird popping noise when stick is pulled all the way back. I took final drive off today. Thought I could figure it out. I think the cam might be over extending and snapping back. Would this be an adjustment fix?
I also need to know how to tell if clutches need replaced. Every thing looked pretty good to me. Any body have any thoughts?
Many Thanks,Jaybird

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Yes, popping noise is clutch lever coming back to far, can be different reasons, adjustment is primary reason.
My general answer is how to tell if clutches need to be replaced, is if the final is off. If yes, then yes. I hate pulling finals, more so on a 440. Half the work is done, fix them while you are in there. Any oil contamination, they are junk, replace, and fix source of oil.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jaybird
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Jaybird » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks lavoy .Is there an easy way to adjust the linkage before I put everything back. I hate working through those holes.
. If the adjustment on the cam is all the way out are clutches worn? The tube that the throw out bearing is also sticking out past the bearing .. Is this correct?
Jaybird

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:00 pm

The JD tool( i think its a #7) is well worth it to adjust the clutches. Without it its a crap shoot I think... Its simple to use.
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:41 am

The popping noise is related to external adjustments, so no difference there. But, if the final is off, you should look at everything that rotates, slides, adjusts, etc. Clean and anti-seize any of the above that you see to make future adjustments easier.
Clutch is shot if the throwout bearing is at the bottom of the carrier, IE closest to the transmission. The fingers on the pressure plate move out (get taller) as the clutch wears.
Tube may or may not be correct by your description, little hard to diagnose without a pic. Make sure the end of the tube is not belled, make sure you can slide the throwout bearing on the tube with 3 fingers once the set bolt is loose, if not see above.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com