Pinhole leak, can I jb weld it?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
michaelkittrell
40C crawler
40C crawler

Pinhole leak, can I jb weld it?

Post by michaelkittrell » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:56 am

I was digging out a tree stump and I noticed a pin hole leak in one of the hoses. I assume its a hydraulics hose because it only leaks when I'm NOT actuating the loader. Sprays out about 2" so its a pretty good leak. Its a metal hose.

The specific hose and location is in this picture

http://i.imgur.com/A9gALmU.jpg?1

Found this, seems like the same problem in the same part. They recommended brazing. I am going to buy an oxy acet welder here in the next couple weeks, should I just wait and use that instead? I'd really rather just jb weld it and get it done so I can get back to digging out my stump.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... aulic+leak

Also, there must be a leak or something in the back because the back right is wet with fluid. I think its coming from a small cavity in the upper right quadrant of the rear where a lot of hoses seem to be going into.

http://i.imgur.com/kN3jeB1.jpg?1

The guy who sold it to me greased everything up between when I saw it and I picked it up. I really do think he cared a lot about the machine. I got grease coming out of joints everywhere.

I did notice a lot of fluid in the rear and underneath and he said he overfilled it and it would stop leaking after I used it a bit. The pinhole is new; when I loaded it and it wasn't leaking.

Few pictures of my 440 are in this thread.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 6737#56737

Welp I'm off to buy a new gas can. I can buy red-dye/offroad diesel correct as long as i'm putting it into a can.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 pm

It might, but I would be skeptical.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

nails
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nails » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:16 pm

The regular JB Weld does a lot better than the quick-dry flavor. But with oil in the hole, I'm pretty skeptical too. But what's the worst that could happen?

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm

That is a return line so not much pressure. You should be able to remove it and clean it very well maybe even burn the oil out with a torch and then JB weld. You could also slide a piece of hose over it and put clamps above and below the leak. That would get you going long enough to pop that stump out the ground. You can weld that or replace the whole pipe. It looks like it is pretty short and attached to rubber line on each end. You could also do away with the hard line and run a new rubber line.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:36 am

My bad, if that is a return line, sand it shiny, JB Weld would very likely hold.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

michaelkittrell
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by michaelkittrell » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 am

I think it is a return line, it only leaked when I wasn't using the loader. It wasn't jetting out too hard either so I'd say pretty low psi.

After I wire brushed it off and degreased it, I can see where it had been welded before. Didn't look like a very good braising job. I used the quick stuff, didn't want to wait around till today to get back to work and I was pretty sure the PSI was low enough that it wouldn't matter.

I think I'm going to replace the whole line when I get some time. It looks kind of janky to me, cracked rubber to metal to cracked rubber to metal held together with hose clamps. Can I use just any old 1000 psi or higher hydraulic hose?

GaCatskinner
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by GaCatskinner » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Yeah but it doesn't even have to be that high of a pressure rating. If you have a local industrial supply, they can probably hook you up.