420C starting issues

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:22 am

I'd try using a gas/oil mixture (chain saw fuel) in a squirt bottle.Turn fuel off from the tank and spray the mixture into the carb to get it started and continue spraying to keep it running for a few minutes to help free up rings that maybe stuck to the lands. This may also help with the low compression. Too much oil will tend to foul the plugs.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lowly
420 crawler
420 crawler

420 starting issues

Post by Lowly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:53 pm

You have gotten a lot of knowledgeable replies but I'll just add my 2 cents. For both of my gas engines that sit for a long time I find it works great to tow start them when they first come out of the shed. Start in a high gear, to turn the motor over slowly, then work your way down through the gears. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter and I think you get a stronger spark since you aren't drawing juice for the starter. Do go easy on the choke though. Although if you do flood it just let it "run" with no choke as your buddy tows you around the field or down the road and it will clear itself.

Of course my situation is different from yours since I know both machines were running well when I parked them.

Just a thought that might help.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420 starting issues

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:45 am

Lowly wrote:You have gotten a lot of knowledgeable replies but I'll just add my 2 cents. For both of my gas engines that sit for a long time I find it works great to tow start them when they first come out of the shed. Start in a high gear, to turn the motor over slowly, then work your way down through the gears. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter and I think you get a stronger spark since you aren't drawing juice for the starter. Do go easy on the choke though. Although if you do flood it just let it "run" with no choke as your buddy tows you around the field or down the road and it will clear itself.

Of course my situation is different from yours since I know both machines were running well when I parked them.

Just a thought that might help.
Make sure before towing that the engine isn't seized.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford