Oil Change Intervals

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
2010OWNER
440 crawler
440 crawler

Oil Change Intervals

Post by 2010OWNER » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:18 am

What are your thoughts on oil change intervals for little used equipment?

My 2010 Crawler seldom gets more than 20 hours a year on it. I change the motor and final drive oil in the fall, before putting it away for the winter. Also I lube all the rollers and idlers.

Every other year (even numbered years) I change the transmission/hydraulic oil and filter.

Mostly I'm wondering if I am changing the transmission oil more than necessary. It takes 7 gallons and is getting spendy, compared to a motor oil change. It looks as good when it comes out as it did when it went in.

Brian

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:46 pm

Brian,
I work for a class 8 truck manufacturer and we recommend for our vehicles/engines in our short haul/severe duty application to change engine oil by amount of days or hours of operation. For these vehicles that do not accumilate alot of miles we recommend to change the diesel engine oil at 300 hours of operation or every 90 days, whichever occurs first.
The base stock in oil does not break down over time but the additives in it do (todays oils are about 15% to 20% additives). The breakdown of these additives from moisture and air causes acid which will cause corrision.
I do not change mine every 90 days but I do not let it go more than 180 days (even if it sat there for all those days). This works out to twice a year. I am a firm believer that the cost of an oil change is cheap compared to the cost of a rebuild.
I hope this helps.

Don
Eastern PA 440IC