JD 1010 diesel crawler engine trouble

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:06 pm

There was another guy recently asking a number of questions about 1010 diesels and issues with the injectors and injection pump relative to lack of power. If you look at some recent posts from me I have been linking to some good old threads that discuss a myriad of potential causes for this. They also answer the questions you have about injection timing. I would highly suggest you find my recent threads (were within the last month or so) so you can read those old threads- they very well may give you some new ideas of things to check before going a very expensive route.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

vailvalley59
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by vailvalley59 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Can you get any black smoke from your machine at all? If not it would seem the issue is fuel --not enough. Could be line restrictions or the governor not opening up in injector pump. Also many old posts about particles in Inj pump from internal breakup of plastic ring. It would seem to me if you could operate with injector setting at the higher level that the pump was putting out enough pressure--perhaps not enough volume. If you decide to overhaul the sleeve set, I have a used sleeve set that would fit. I bought it for a 2010 but it was the wrong part number. That unit should run with 250 pounds compression and have no problems--some other issue is involved.
2010 diesel loader, IH 886, Cat 1947 D4 dozer, IH 966, Ford 7000, IH 2500, IH 706 and other toys

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Vailvally59, when I throttle up all the way and start ripping or dozing it does throw out black smoke. I don't really have to put much load on it and it starts to bog down and the smoke gets blacker. The only time I get white smoke is on startup and when the machine is idling. I was messing with the darn machine this morning, doing some light dozing on flat ground and messing with throotle and gear settings to see if anything changed but all the problems still exist in every gear and every throttle setting. I did notice that I am getting some white smoke out of the blowby tube on the valve cover but it did not seem exessive to me.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Sounds more and more like a reverser problem - not an engine problem.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi,

Black smoke tells me lots of fuel, too little air to combust it. And, it seems as if the IP is metering more under load, like it should.

Have you checked your intake airflow? That is where I'd be looking. It might be restricted. Does your machine have a Donaldson air cleaner? The one that pulls oil up out of the cup to coat the screens so it collects dirt. Sometimes they get gunked up and won't flow much air.

Remember a diesel has full airflow always. No throttle to limit it. As it spins faster, it needs a lot more airflow than a gasser for the same engine RPM. You can have enough air for low RPMs and low power at higher RPMs yet not enough to produce much power.

I would look there first, before thinking about the IP or injectors.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

original possum wrote:Sounds more and more like a reverser problem - not an engine problem.
Hi,

This was being posted as I was writing.

Yes. Could be. A bind-up would consume power before it gets to the tracks. It is possible the air, fuel, timing and all are fine and the black smoke is from overload.

Does this have the mechanical or hydraulic version of reverser?

Stan

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:29 pm

Stan, I completely took the oil bath filter system off and submerged it in gasoline and cleaned the entire thing out. Don't worry, I left it sitting in the sun and air for about a month while the head was being rebuilt at the automotive machine shop. I also ran the thing with nothing connected to the intake manifold. As far as the reverser, I think it is machanical as there is a lever to the left of the throttle that will reverse or forward. I am not familiar with the problem you and Possum are speaking of so could you please explain.

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Possum, I really don't know anything about the reverser that you speak of but I do know that I can put the machine in 1'st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse and use the reverser lever and clutch to switch from forward to reverse in any gear and it works just fine. No noises, or hesitation etc. It just seems that when I put it in any gear and start moving it goes good until i put any kind of load on the machine. If I am in 1st and am moving with full throttle on level ground the machine moves fine but as soon as I start up a grade more than level the machine slowly bogs down to a point where the engine is close to a stall rpm. In first, it will keep going up grade but very slowly and almost on the stall point. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th it will go on level ground but once you hit a grade there is no power and if you try to just let it keep moving it will stall and the motor will die like you just ran it into a boulder that weighs 10 times what the dozer wieghs. I really don't feel anything is binding up it just seems like the engine has no power when a load is aplied to the machine.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

my 450b had the same symptoms this fall. I changed the fuel filters, no improvement. So I took of the fuel line off at the fuel pump and blew out the line back to the tank. Problem solved.
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Scottyb, I will go back thrue all the fuel system again and make sure that there are no clogs, but it has a glass fuel sediment bowl and you can see fuel movement and it never gets air or space in it. Also, there are two lines off of the fuel tank that go to the sediment bowl before the filters and I leave both open just in case one might become plugged etc. I have installed new fuel filters and purged air from the system but still no power. I really don't think that the cylinders and rings are bad because the oil does not look black and I have been running it quite a bit trying to figure out what the problem is.

Bob-O
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Bob-O » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Can anybody tell me what compression the cylinders should have? Before I had the head rebuilt all cylinders were right around 250psi but I have not checked compression since the rebuilt head was installed, I just assumed it would be more than 250psi. I will check it again when I install all new glow plugs just to make sure they are working OK. I also forgot to mention that I called a fuel injection shop today and told the guy what was going on with the machine. He told me that some plastic piece in the injector pump that has to deal with the govorner weights might have broke down and decentigrated and this could cause power problems when a load is aplied to the engine. He wants me to bring him the injectors and pump so that he can take them apart and see if there are any problems. He told me he would not be able to give me any cost estimates until he finds out if anything needs replaced etc. I am kind of leary at this because once he tares the pump and injectors down for inspection, I pretty much will be at the mercy of the cost of new parts. from what I have found on the internet these parts can be outrageously high.

nails
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nails » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:There was another guy recently asking a number of questions about 1010 diesels
Maybe me (http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... 9e37c154b7). Tigerhaze's references were very, very valuable.

I timed mine right on the timing mark, like the book says. (The PO put the oil pump on wrong, so I had to fuss with getting that indexed right before I could figure out the IP timing.) All my problems went away when I followed Lavoy's advice, put a crowbar in my wallet, and had the IP rebuilt. Took it to a great shop in Albuquerque.

For me, I couldn't get any fuel to pump at all. Doesn't much sound like your problems.

original possum wrote:Sounds more and more like a reverser problem - not an engine problem.
Exactly what I was thinking from the start. Hydraulic pump? Brakes sticking?

Scottyb wrote:So I took of the fuel line off at the fuel pump and blew out the line back to the tank. Problem solved.
In my research, I saw a lot of references to weirdness from plugged return line. I think this is easy to check: open the return line valve, and then take the plug out on the IP regulator (the rectangular reservoir on back of the pump, plug near top). I reckon if fuel runs out, the return line is open. But I also hear about a mysterious whisker wire in the regulator -- I never saw one, and my pump might not have it.

--
Neal

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 pm

You have a hydraulic reverser. The handle on the dash operates a rotary valve by cable. The reverser has two clutch packs. They should have 25psi to disengage and 180 (as I recall) to engage. If the release pressure is insufficient or the plates are warped one or both packs will "drag". Start with a cold unit. Start it in neutral and run it at half throttle for 5-10 minutes and see if the reverser gets very warm. If it does then rebuild it (easy). You can check the pressure if you have a service manual to guide you. I think that little pump would break wide open if you had that much hydraulic drag but look at hydraulic oil temperature after that same 5-10 minutes.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 am

Hi,

I thought the 1010 had the hydraulic reverser, and there could be the problem Original Possum has described.

I have never been clear on just when the differential style reverser was replaced by the hydraulic. I know it occurred around the time the 440 was replaced by the 1010. But, there was overlap of 430/440 and 1010 when it comes to some parts. I never had or used a 1010 crawler, having jumped from 420/440 to JD350. But I have used several 1010 wheel tractors. None of which had a reverser. The JD350 had a hydraulic reverser, so those I have had 'experience' with.

A problem in the reverser would slow the machine down and lead to engine overload. Fortunately, it is easily figured out by rapid heat buildup in the reverser.

Also, check to see if your brakes are dragging as well. I have seen this cause the same symptoms, sometimes from mis adjustment, sometimes from rust buildup, sometimes from sticky master brake pedal shafts.

Stan

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Brake Lock

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:38 am

Is it possible the brakes are not releasing??

I didn't read the full previous post, but this can happen. The foot pedal brake can seize up, brake lock can be on, brake linkage problems or the brake bands may be to tight.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors