cylinder honing

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

cylinder honing

Post by ggfossen » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Just incase anyone has noticed any of my ramblings about honing the cylinders on my 420, Lavoy, to his credit, and with a fair amount of effort, has convinced me that the idea is...nuts. I wasted maybe a day, and one set of stones for my hone, but it was a relatively cheap lesson.

I will do the right thing. I will find a shop, have them bored and honed, buy the proper oversized pistons and rings, install them, and probably smile broadly when it first runs.

A little more money, but nothing compared to the aggravation of having to again remove the engine, and again rebuild it.

I will ride my old motorcycle to town, instead of the big truck, and I will save enough in fuel in short order to make up the difference. Besides, I like riding the old motorcycle.

Gary

Charles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Charles » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:57 pm

I used a Lyle precision hone.Bored it out to .045.Both cyl were tapered about .015-.020 Didn't take long. I have used this on many old engines and bearing races on machines after welding.Nother beats a boring bar but this is all I have at home.

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:45 pm

I don't have a hone of that quality, and it appears that it would cost as much as a re-bore job. Besides, I know that I have at least one cylinder about 001 out of round, and I have to think the hones might simply track the error.

If I had the better hone, I probably would give it a shot, but I don't.

Gary