Starter Ring Gear

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Starter Ring Gear

Post by ggfossen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 am

Early, I asked about turning over the starter ring gear on the flywheel of a 420. This morning, I drifted off the ring gear by striking every other tooth with a brass drift. It took about 2 turns around the flywheel, and the gear fell loose.

Then I dumped a pan of ice in the center of the flywheel, and slowly heated the ring gear to about 300 degrees on one side. The internet suggests about 400, but I didn't want to shoot over that, and damage the metal. I used the temp probe on my multi-meter to gauge the temp.

At that point, the gear would just start over the flywheel. From there it was easy to simply drift it into it's proper position.

I did first use the dremel tool to cut a slight chamfer on the inner edge of the gear, as there was one on the other side. I think it's to clear the slight radius on the inner corner of the flywheel.

All that remains to be seen is if it will work. If there were special bevels on the original gears, the now exposed side has none. That could/would be the only problem.

All in the interest of curiosity...and to save a buck.

Gary

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:25 am

Gary,
What do they say."Desparation is the mother of invention." sounds like a good fix. What did you use to heat the ring gear?

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:35 am

Scott,

Necessity, or maybe age. It's a process that was relatively common when I was a kid. I just never had done it before.

I used a regular propane torch. Not even Mapp gas. I heated, more or less only on one side. I was afraid to take out the big torch because, with the ring gear being so thin, I thought I might be too easy to get it way too hot. I checked periodically with my multimeter temp gauge.

While heating it, I held it with a pair of lock-jaws, and away from the flywheel.

At 300 degrees on only about half of it, it only just started to go back over the flywheel, but that was enough. I then drifted it back into place with a soft faced hammer.

On the web, I found one suggestion that 200 degrees centigrade, or about 392 f would work. I chose to stay below that.

What I don't know is if there was a special slight bevel on the the old side when it was new. I will find out when I first hit the starter.

Gary